The Board of Trustees of the Alamo Colleges approved both the need for and construction of a single District Support Operations (DSO) building, at 2222 N. Alamo Street (former Playland Park property), to consolidate over 500 DSO employees and multiple buildings at Sheridan Street, Houston Street and Pat Booker Road into a single location.
How will this project be funded?
Funds for the building project will be utilized from the following sources:
- Sale of current properties (exact amount dependent upon properties sold)
- Use of existing tax revenues authorized by Bexar County taxpayers for debt service on 20 - 30 year bonds for facilities construction and maintenance
Why is there a need for a new building when the Alamo Colleges has several district offices?
The 465 District Support Operations employees who serve the Alamo Colleges are dedicated professionals who provide essential services to the students and faculty of the colleges. Over the past 10 years, the District has invested $802 million in the colleges but only $2.4 million or 0.3% in the District facilities. Deferred maintenance of DSO buildings, due to prioritization of expending limited funds on the colleges, has caused many workplace hazards, including:
- Leaking roofs and water intrusion in walls/windows
- Condemned buildings
- Foundation issues, sagging/uneven flooring
- No sprinkler systems
- Lack of building code compliance
- Infestation by rats, cockroaches, and other vermin
Further, our employees suffer the following indignities and personal safety issues:
- Severe overcrowding
- Unsafe environment
- Poor design, few windows
- Aggressive panhandling to approaching employees in parking lot
- Public indecency
- Public intoxication
- Drug sales and use
- Homicides... Read more...