Thanks to everyone for your continued feedback and support. One thing the community has brought up is an effort to promote local hiring for both contracting & permanent employment opportunities. The job posting for our farm manager opportunity is below in the Updates section, and we've just launched a new section of our site to register your interest in employment opportunities with Broadacre Farm, and actively encourage local businesses & entrepreneurs to reach out to us with interest in getting involved in the project.
To register your company for future opportunities, please visit the opportunities section of this community engagement site here.
We look forward to hearing from you!
As the Broadacre Farm project chugs ahead, we're excited to announce the creation of the first of job on the property! We are looking to hire a farm manager to start in the Spring planting season beginning to work the land and restoring its health for long-term establishment of meadows, orchards, cane fruits and forest farming, and programming. Full job description below, if you or someone you know is interested, please send a resume to email@example.com!
About Broadacre Farm
Broadacre Farm, a first of its kind regenerative agrihood in the beautiful Catskills hamlet of Livingston Manor, NY is a 117 acre mountainside former dairy farm which includes 15 tillable acres of protected farmland for orchards, grazing and vegetable production with a commitment to regenerative agriculture practices that promote soil health and carbon sequestration. The property will feature a renovated barn with greenhouse and a commercial kitchen for farm to table co-packing of value added products. New roads & utilities are being built on the site to accommodate ~46 residential houses, the farm portion of the property will be owned by the homeowner’s association and permanently protected for agricultural use. The location is unique not only for its sweeping views, but also for diversity of wildlife and walkable accessibility to the up-and-coming town of Livingston Manor, renowned for its fly fishing & outdoor activities.
Broadacre Farm is seeking an aspiring farmer or farming family to join our founding team as Farm Manager. Initially, our needs are more limited and can be accomplished hourly, but this will grow into a full-time salaried opportunity with profit sharing and benefits including housing upon establishment of the farm’s operations. We are seeking a true partner who is looking for a long term opportunity to grow without the burden of land ownership. As the farm is a startup and needs to brought back to life, the Farm Manager will have broad discretion and autonomy to work with management to devise & execute the whole farm plan.
- 5+ years of farming experience (hay, pasture management, orchard production, berry production, vegetable production preferred)
- 2+ years of animal husbandry experience
- Knowledge of organic and regenerative farming methods, and a passion for sharing
2021 growing season
- Work together with our team, the Rodale Institute, Appleseed Permaculture and the Cornell Extension to finalize farm design elements and infrastructure requirement and assist in the selection of the required farm equipment
- Establish and manage ~15 acres in row crop production (oats or corn); land is wet and has been in permanent hay for decades. Marketing and sale of crop is at the discretion of the farmer.
- Help select rootstocks, plant and establish one orchard of pear & chestnut trees, and one orchard of apples intercropped with perennial herbs
- Assist with recordkeeping to ensure all methods of production are in compliance with the National Organic Program and ultimately the Regenerative Organic Certification
Post-2021 growing season
- Replace corn with deep-rooted cover crops to support grazing as well as improve soil health, drainage, and organic matter
- Establish both the cover crop as well as fencing & windbreaks, water and shed infrastructure in preparation for introducing livestock to the property
- Select animals to establish an educational scale rotational fiber grazing operation with heritage breed sheep, goats, alpacas, and egg laying chickens as well as beekeeping
- Solar greenhouse management to include year-round organic seed starts and establishment of a community vegetable garden with 50 raised beds to be planted in the Spring
- Establish forest farming activities including mushroom logs and small scale sugar maple tapping
- Establish the framework for a hyper local 100-member CSA that will serve all 46 residences as well as the surrounding community
2022 and beyond
- Work with the community’s brand to develop value-added farm products using sheep & alpaca fiber, honey, eggs, and establishing a micro-dairy for specialty goat & sheep's milk products.
- Lead farm tours and regenerative farming educational programming
- Establish a CSA debit card program for the residents & neighbors in the community
- Represent the community at farmers markets in the Catskills region and in New York City
- Determine inventory and manage part time help in the weekend operation of an on-site farm stand
Thank you all for the insightful input and ideas you’ve shared with us so far. Thanks to you we have accomplished so much already.
We are excited to announce that we have submitted our sketch site plan to the Town of Rockland Planning Board and made an introduction to the project at their December 2nd meeting. We got valuable feedback from the Board and Town Engineer that we'll use to continue to shape the vision for the project.
Your participation during this process has been more than helpful. Please continue to share your feedback and questions in the comment section
Thanks for visiting our new website. We're using this interface to help you follow and participate in the planning process for Broadacre Farm
Click the Follow button to receive news via email, and visit the Comments tab to share questions and thoughts with us. We'll respond as soon as we can.