Construction Update: April 27 - May 11
Please note, on Thursday May 3rd, at approximately 11:30am, the Kendall Square South of Main Street project is scheduled to perform a site-wide emergency evacuation drill at Kendall construction sites south of Main Street. Crews from these sites will be evacuating to Amherst Street, between Carleton and Wadsworth Streets. The drill will entail blasting horns around the site to mock a real emergency. MIT police will be on site and will be aware of the drill.
Street and Sidewalk Impacts
Wadsworth Street – Phase 1 Roadway Conditions Through Mid-May –
- The south side of Wadsworth Street from Memorial Drive to Amherst Street is open to one-way traffic during the day and two-way after 4:00PM or when there is no work occurring on the street. (W1)
- Wadsworth Street remains one-way from Main Street toward Amherst Street. Please note that there will be no access from Memorial Drive up Wadsworth Street to the Sloan and Eastgate lots.
- Amherst Street remains one-way from Wadsworth toward Ames Street.
Crane Activity and Street Closure Notice – Saturday, May 5th, a crane will be placed on Wadsworth Street opposite Eastgate (E55). At this time, Wadsworth Street between Main Street and Amherst Street will be closed to vehicles for the duration of Site 3 construction except for construction vehicles. (W2)
Amherst Street – Chilled water lines installation along the Amherst Street at the intersection of Carleton St has started and will continue for the next few months. (A1)
Hayward Street — Utility work will continue on the North side of Hayward Street and will have trucks entering and exiting onto Main Street. This operation will continue until further notice. (A2)
General Construction Update
The slurry wall continues to be chipped down around site 3 and site 5. This work can create noise and vibration in the area directly next to the work. The work areas will move frequently, so any disruptions should be limited to a day or two.
Steel Installation for Site 4 Garage and Building will continue. Steel will be delivered to the site via Amherst Street to Carleton Street.
Work continues on the Kendall Garage behind 290-292 Main (E38-E39) and 238 Main (E48). This includes:
- Concrete deck placements will take place at the Site 4 Garage.
- Construction of the future auto ramp will continue.
Trucking for Site 5 will continue, as well as:
- Daily deliveries of steel and concrete via Amherst Street to Carleton Street.
- Daily trucking to remove material from the site Amherst Street to Carleton Street.
Trucking for Site 3 will continue, as well as:
- Daily trucking to remove material from the site Wadsworth Street to Amherst Street.
- Daily Concrete operation from Hayward Street.
E38 interior and exterior renovation activities will continue, and will be serviced from Gate 11 (Between T and E38) and Gate 7 (Carleton Street).
E39 Foundation installation has started and is being serviced from Gate 7 (Carleton Street), and Gate 1 on Main Street.
Police details will be utilized throughout the project area to assist with pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
Large equipment will be removed and brought back to the site daily. This activity may occur after hours but no disruptions are expected.
Saturday Work – General construction activities will continue on Saturdays. Work will occur within the City of Cambridge allowable work hours, 9:00 am to 6:00 pm.