Construction Update: May 25th - June 8th
Street and Sidewalk Impacts
Wadsworth Street – Phase 1 Roadway Conditions Through The First Week of June.
- The south side of Wadsworth Street from Memorial Drive to Amherst Street is open to one-way traffic during the day and two-way after 4:00PM or when there is no work occurring on the street. (W1) The work zone has shifted to the opposite side of the street with the travel lane closer to the Tang Center (E 51).
- Access to Wadsworth Street from Main Street is closed to all traffic (except construction vehicles through the end of May). (W2) Please note that there will be no access from Memorial Drive up Wadsworth Street to the Sloan and Eastgate lots as this entrance is closed. A crane will be in this area for two days the week of June 4th.
- A pedestrian walkway is in place.
- Bicycles are not allowed on the street, but may be walked on the shared walkway.
- Amherst Street remains one-way from Wadsworth Street toward Ames Street.
- On Friday, May 25th and in early June, construction access from Main Street on to Wadsworth Street will close. All construction traffic will be re-routed; Main Street – Ames Street – Amherst Street (Construction traffic will be controlled as it will be going against the “One Way Detour Plan”)
Amherst Street – Installation of chilled water lines along Amherst Street will continue for the next few months. Work is currently near the intersection of Carleton Street. (A1)
- The sidewalk in front of the Muckley Building (E40) will be closed through most of June beginning on Tuesday, May 29th. Access to E40 will be maintained.
- Pedestrian traffic entering E40 from Wadsworth Street will be directed south across Amherst Street in front of the Tang Center (E51) and to the crosswalk at Hayward Street. This closure is required for flushing and testing chilled water lines under the sidewalk in front of E40.
- Also trees from the construction zones abutting Main Street will be transplanted to this sidewalk area during this time.
Hayward Street — Utility work will continue on the north side of Hayward Street and will have trucks entering and exiting onto Main Street. Concrete and steel operations will also periodically stage from this area. These activities will continue until further notice. (A2)
General Construction Update
Concrete for the Site 4 Building will continue to be delivered via Amherst Street to Carleton Street.
Steel installations for Site 3 Garage and Building will continue. Steel will be delivered to the site via Amherst Street to Hayward Street.
Work continues on the Kendall Garage behind 290-292 Main (E38-E39) and 238 Main (E48). This includes:
- Construction of the future auto ramp
Trucking for Site 5 will continue, as well as:
- Daily deliveries of steel and concrete via Amherst Street to Carleton Street.
- Daily trucking to remove material from the site Amherst Street to Carleton Street.
Construction for Site 3 will continue, as well as:
- Daily trucking to remove this this phase of excavated material will be completed very soon
- Steel and concrete installations will begin in early June and will be staged on Wadsworth Street
- Daily concrete operation from Hayward Street.
- A crane will be on Wadsworth Street for steel work the week of June 4th.
E38 interior and exterior renovation activities will continue, and will be serviced from Gate 11 (Between T and E38) and Gate 7 (Carleton Street).
E39 Slab on deck installation has started and is being serviced from Gate 7 (Carleton Street), and Gate 1 on Main Street. Finishing of the concrete slab will require extended site hours on days of placements.
Police details will be utilized throughout the project area to assist with pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
Large equipment will be removed and brought back to the site daily. This activity may occur after hours but no disruptions are expected.
Saturday Work – General construction activities will continue on Saturdays. Work will occur within the City of Cambridge allowable work hours, 9:00 am to 6:00 pm.