Construction Update - July 20 - August 3
Street and Sidewalk Impacts
Wadsworth Street – Phase 2 Roadway Conditions Through August 2018
- The south section of Wadsworth Street from Memorial Drive to Amherst Street is open to one-way traffic during the day and two-way after 4:00PM or when there is no work occurring on the street. (W1)
- Access to Wadsworth Street from Main Street is closed to all traffic. (W2) The Sloan and Eastgate lot entrance is closed at Wadsworth Street through this phase.
- A crane and other construction vehicles will continue to be set up and operate in this area.
- Walkways will be maintained and located as required around construction work zones.
- Bicycles may be walked on the shared walkway.
Amherst Street – The final section of steam pipe installation is ongoing and this activity is anticipated to run through mid-August from 2:30 to 6:00PM and will cross Amherst Street between Ames Street and Carleton Street. (A1)The work zones will be plated over after 6:00PM. Installation of chilled water lines along Amherst Street will continue for the next month. Work is progressing toward Hayward Street. (A2)
- Beginning later in the week of July 30th, the sidewalk alongside E14, the Media Lab, will be closed from Ames Street to Carleton Street for approximately three (3) weeks. The ramp into the building from Carleton will also be closed and all will be directed to the ramp off Ames Street. After 6:00PM each evening, the sidewalk will reopen.
- Use caution traversing Amherst Street, especially with a new work zone and numerous large construction vehicles coming and going to gates and zones.
- Amherst Street remains one-way from Wadsworth Street toward Ames Street. Only police directed construction vehicles will have two-way access from Ames Street.
Hayward Street — Utility work will continue on the north side of Hayward Street and will have trucks entering and exiting onto Main Street. Concrete and steel operations will also periodically stage from this area. (A3) Utility work on the south side of Hayward Street is ongoing. Trucking access will be via Ames Street and Amherst Street.
Charlotte’s Way — The new Charlotte’s walkway is complete and open to the public.
General Construction Update
- Excavation will continue, with trucking in and out of Hayward Street and Carleton Street,
- Reinforcement steel and concrete operations will continue at the auto ramp.
- Steel and concrete installation is underway and is being staged on Wadsworth Street
- Concrete deck placements will be from Hayward Street.
- E38 interior and exterior renovation activities will continue, and will be serviced from Gate 11 (Between T and E38).
- E39 slab on deck installation has started and is being serviced from Carleton Street, and on Main Street. Finishing of the concrete slab will require extended site hours on days of placements.
- Steel erection and concrete for the 5th and 6th floors has begun and is supported from Hayward Street (North).
- Some concrete chipping is underway at the connection between Sites 4 and 5, and jackhammering noise may be heard from E-23 and E25.
- The second of three large concrete placements for the base slab will take place on a weekday beginning at 7:00 am and going through 9:00 pm after July 26th.
- Daily deliveries of steel and concrete via Amherst Street to Carleton Street.
- Daily trucking to remove material from the site Amherst Street to Carleton Street.
Police details will be utilized throughout the project area to assist with pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
Large equipment will be removed and brought back to the site daily. This activity may occur after hours but no disruptions are expected.
Saturday Work – General construction activities will continue on Saturdays. Work will occur within the City of Cambridge allowable work hours, 9:00 am to 6:00 pm.