Construction Update - August 3 - August 17
Street and Sidewalk Impacts
Main Street – On Saturday, August 4th from 5:00AM to 10:00PM a section of Main Street will be one-way northbound from Broadway to Ames Street (M1). All southbound traffic will be directed by signage and police details to Ames Street to Broadway to continue to Main Street southbound or take Third Street back to Main Street northbound. The covered sidewalk on the east side along Site 5 will be closed during this time. Signage and police details will direct pedestrians across the street via crosswalks to the west sidewalk.
Wadsworth Street – Phase 2 Roadway Conditions Through August 2018
- The south section of Wadsworth Street from Memorial Drive to Amherst Street is open to one-way traffic during the day and two-way after 4:00PM or when there is no work occurring on the street. (W1)
- Access to Wadsworth Street from Main Street is closed to all traffic. (W2) The Sloan and Eastgate lot entrance is closed at Wadsworth Street through this phase.
- A crane and other construction vehicles will continue to be set up and operate in this area.
- Walkways will be maintained and located as required around construction work zones.
- Bicycles may be walked on the shared walkway.
Amherst Street – Water pipe relocation and steam pipe installation is ongoing. This activity is anticipated to run through August and will cross Amherst Street between Ames Street and Carleton Street (A1).The work zones will be plated over after 6:00PM. Installation of chilled water lines along Amherst Street will continue for the next month. Work is progressing toward Hayward Street. (A2)
- Beginning later in the week of August 13th, the sidewalk alongside E14, the Media Lab, will be closed from Ames Street to Carleton Street for approximately three (3) weeks. The ramp into the building from Carleton will also be closed and all will be directed to the ramp off Ames Street. After 6:00PM each evening, the sidewalk will reopen.
- Use caution traversing Amherst Street, especially with a new work zone and numerous large construction vehicles coming and going to gates and zones.
- Amherst Street remains one-way from Wadsworth Street toward Ames Street. Only police directed construction vehicles will have two-way access from Ames Street.
Hayward Street — Utility work will continue on the north side of Hayward Street and will have trucks entering and exiting onto Main Street. Concrete and steel operations will also periodically stage from this area. (A3) Utility work on the south side of Hayward Street is ongoing. Trucking access will be via Ames Street and Amherst Street.
Charlotte’s Way — The new Charlotte’s walkway is complete and open to the public.
General Construction Update
- Excavation will continue, with trucking in and out of Hayward Street and Carleton Street,
- Reinforcement steel and concrete operations will continue at the auto ramp.
- Steel and concrete installation is underway and is being staged on Wadsworth Street
- Excavation will begin and will come in and out of Amherst Street to Hayward Street.
- E38 interior and exterior renovation activities will continue, and will be serviced from Gate 11 (Between T and E38).
- E39 slab on deck installation has started and is being serviced from Carleton Street, and on Main Street. Finishing of the concrete slab will require extended site hours on days of placements.
- Steel erection and concrete for the 5th and 6th floors has begun and is supported from Hayward Street (North).
- Some concrete chipping is underway at the connection between Sites 4 and 5, and jackhammering noise may be heard from E-23 and E25.
- The third large concrete placement for the base slab will take place all day and into the night this Saturday, August 4th, beginning at 5:00 am to 10:00 pm. The last large placement for the base will be done later in the week of August 6th.
- Daily deliveries of steel and concrete via Amherst Street to Carleton Street.
- Daily trucking to remove material from the site Amherst Street to Carleton Street.
Police details will be utilized throughout the project area to assist with pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
Large equipment will be removed and brought back to the site daily. This activity may occur after hours but no disruptions are expected.
Saturday Work – General construction activities will continue on Saturdays. Work will occur within the City of Cambridge allowable work hours, 9:00 am to 6:00 pm.