Construction Update September 28 - October 12
Street and Sidewalk Impacts
Wadsworth Street – Phase 2 Roadway Conditions into October 2018
- The south section of Wadsworth Street from Memorial Drive to Amherst Street will be open to one-way traffic for the next 2-4 weeks, as there will be a construction crew restoring the sidewalk and landscaping next to E51, where sections of sidewalk are closed. (W1)
- Access to Wadsworth Street from Main Street is closed to all traffic. (W2) The Sloan and Eastgate lot entrance is closed at Wadsworth Street through this phase.
- A crane and other construction vehicles will continue to be set up and operate in this area.
- Walkways will be maintained and located as required around construction work zones.
- A walkway shift will take place near the closed entrance to the Sloan and Eastgate lot.
- Bicycles must be walked on the shared walkway.
Amherst Street –
- Sections of sidewalk are closed in front of E40 to accommodate tree relocation from Site 5 and sidewalk restoration. (A1)
- Steam pipe installation is ongoing. This activity is anticipated to run through October and will cross Amherst Street between Ames Street and Carleton Street (A2). The work zones will be plated over after 6:00 pm.
- Installation of chilled water lines along Amherst Street is complete. Testing and flushing of the new chilled water pipes will begin in the coming weeks. (A3)
- The sidewalk alongside E14, the Media Lab, will be closed from Ames Street to Carleton Street for approximately three (3) weeks. The ramp into the building from Carleton will also be closed and all will be directed to the ramp off Ames Street. After 6:00 pm each evening, the sidewalk will reopen.
- Amherst Street remains one-way from Wadsworth Street toward Ames Street. Only police directed construction vehicles will have two-way access from Ames Street.
General Construction Update
- Utility work on the south side of Hayward Street is ongoing.
- Excavation will continue, with trucking in and out of Hayward Street and Carleton Street,
- Reinforcement steel and concrete operations will continue in and out of Gates 4,5, and 6 at Amherst Street.
- The buildings concrete core construction work is ongoing.
- Reinforcement steel and concrete operations will continue in and out of Hayward Street.
- Excavation will continue using Amherst Street.
- E38 interior and exterior renovation activities will continue, and will be serviced from Gate 11 (Between T and E38).
- E39 slab on deck installation has started and is being serviced from Carleton Street. Finishing of the concrete slab will require extended site hours on days of placements.
- Concrete for the 6th and 7th floors is in progress and is supported from Carleton Street and Hayward Street.
- The buildings concrete core construction is underway and is being staged on Carleton Street and Charlottes Way.
- Daily deliveries of steel and concrete and removal of materials will take place from Amherst Street to Carleton Street.
Police details will be utilized throughout the project area to assist with pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
Large equipment will be removed and brought back to the site daily. This activity may occur after hours but no disruptions are expected.
Saturday Work – General construction activities will continue on Saturdays. Work will occur within the City of Cambridge allowable work hours, 9:00 am to 6:00 pm.