Construction Update February 1 - February 15
Street and Sidewalk Impacts
Wadsworth Street – Phase 2 Roadway Conditions into February 2019
- Access to Wadsworth Street from Main Street is closed to all traffic. (W1) The Sloan and Eastgate lot entrance is closed at Wadsworth Street through this phase.
- Construction vehicles and equipment will continue to be set up and operate in this area and at the intersection with Amherst Street.
- The noisiest work will come from the intermittent use of vacuum trucks.
- Sanitary pipe installation continues near Main Street.
- Walkways will be maintained and located as required around construction work zones.
- Bicycles must be walked on the shared walkway.
- The walkway onto Wadsworth Street from Main Street has shifted to the West side of Wadsworth Street, and then crosses diagonally to the East side as the construction work zone is progressing North towards Main Street.
- Construction access at Gate 1, located on Hayward Street off Main Street, continues to be a major entrance into the project for excavation and concrete
- Within the next week, pedestrian traffic will shift for approximately a month to the northern sidewalk in front of the MIT COOP between Ames Street and the MBTA headhouse while Eversource crews install a new gas line in the path of the covered pedestrian walkway. Bike traffic will use the full lane during this time.
- For one night within the next two weeks, crews plan to install over-head protection on three sides of the MBTA headhouse.
- Testing and flushing of the new chilled water pipes is ongoing. One access trench is in front of E2, where a vacuum truck may be in use. (A1)
- Eversource Electric will periodically be finishing work at manholes. (A2)
- Installation of a new Eversource gas pipe continues to take place between E51 at the Wadsworth Street intersection and 100 Memorial. (A3)
- Amherst Street remains one-way from Wadsworth Street toward Ames Street. Only police directed construction vehicles will have two-way access from Ames Street.
General Construction Update
- Reinforcement steel, concrete operations, and excavation will continue with trucking in and out of Gates 1,4,5,6, and 7 at Amherst, Hayward, Carleton, and Main Streets.
- Finishing of concrete underground will require extended hours on days of placements.
- The building’s concrete core and the garage’s auto ramp construction work is ongoing.
- Reinforcement steel, concrete operations and excavation will continue with trucking in and out of Gates 1,4,5, 6, and 7 at Amherst, Hayward, Carleton, and Main Streets.
- E38 interior and exterior renovation activities will continue and will be serviced from Gate 11 (Between the MBTA and E38).
- E39 slab on deck installation has started and is being serviced from Carleton Street and Hayward Street. Finishing of the concrete slab will require extended site hours on days of placements.
- Concrete for the 19th floor south and 20th floor north is in progress and is supported from Carleton Street and Hayward Street.
- Mega panel installation continues on 2nd shift, from 6:00 PM to midnight.
- The building’s concrete core construction is complete to the 19th floor, and is being staged on Carleton Street and Charlottes Way.
- Daily deliveries of steel and concrete and removal of materials will take place from Amherst Street to Carleton Street or in and out through two Main Street gates.
- Steel installation continues up to the 9th floor on the south side and 5th floor on the north.
Police details will be utilized throughout the project area to assist with pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
Large equipment will be removed and brought back to the site daily. This activity may occur after hours but no disruptions are expected.
Saturday Work – General construction activities will continue on Saturdays. Work will occur within the City of Cambridge allowable work hours, 9:00 am to 6:00 pm.