Construction Update May 24 - June 7
Street and Sidewalk Impacts *
* No work will take place on any site Commencement Day Friday, June 7th.
Wadsworth Street – Phase 2 Roadway Conditions into June 2019
- Access to Wadsworth Street from Main Street is closed to all traffic. (W1) The Sloan and Eastgate lot entrance is closed at Wadsworth Street through this phase.
- Construction vehicles and equipment continue to be set up and operate in this area and at the intersection with Amherst Street.
- The noisiest work will come from the intermittent use of vacuum trucks.
- Drainage installation is ongoing.
- Walkways will be maintained and located as required around construction work zones.
- Bicycles must be walked on the shared walkway.
- Eversource Gas work is continuing.
- Eversource Electric work is ongoing.
- More Eversource gas and electric work needs to be incorporated the full build of Wadsworth Street from Memorial Drive onto Amherst Street. The timing and phasing is being reworked.
- Construction access at Gate 1, located on Hayward Street off Main Street, continues to be a major entrance into the project for excavation and concrete
- On Saturday morning, June 1, Cambridge Fire Department trucks and personnel will be between Hayward Street and the MBTA headhouse to conduct a drill at Site 4.
- Full build on the south side of Amherst Street will continue, extending between Wadsworth Street and E2, 70 Amherst Street with vehicular traffic maintained on the north side. (A1)
- Amherst Street remains one-way from Wadsworth Street toward Ames Street. Only police directed construction vehicles will have two-way access from Ames Street.
- Hayward Street, from Main Street to Amherst Street, remains closed for vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
General Construction Update
- Reinforcement steel, concrete operations, and excavation will continue with trucking in and out of Gates 1,4,5,6, and 7 at Amherst, Hayward, Carleton, and Main Streets.
- Finishing of concrete underground will require extended hours on days of placements.
- Concrete core work will continue with trucks entering from Gate 1 onto Hayward Street.
- Pre-trenching begins for drilled mini piles for the mega crane base on the south side of the site, near E40.
- E38 interior and exterior renovation activities will continue and will be serviced from Gate 11 (Between the MBTA and E38).
- Concrete for the upper penthouse is in progress and is supported from Carleton Street and is anticipated to be complete in two weeks.
- Mega panel installation continues on 2nd shift, from 3:00 PM to midnight.
- On Saturday morning, June 1st, Cambridge Fire Department trucks and personnel will be on site to conduct a stand pipe water pressurization drill.
- Daily deliveries of steel, concrete and removal of materials will take place from Amherst Street to Carleton Street or in and out through two Main Street gates.
- Steel installation is finishing up the 19th floor.
Police details will be utilized throughout the project area to assist with pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
Large equipment will be removed and brought back to the site daily. This activity may occur after hours but no disruptions are expected.
Saturday Work – General construction activities will continue on Saturdays. Work will occur within the City of Cambridge allowable work hours, 9:00 am to 6:00 pm