Construction Update June 7 - June 21
Street and Sidewalk Impacts
Wadsworth Street – Phase 2 Roadway Conditions into June 2019
- Access to Wadsworth Street from Main Street is closed to all traffic. (W1) The Sloan and Eastgate lot entrance is closed at Wadsworth Street.
- Construction vehicles and equipment continue to be set up and operate in this area and at the intersection with Amherst Street.
- The noisiest work will come from the intermittent use of vacuum trucks.
- Drainage installation is ongoing.
- Walkways will be maintained and located as required around construction work zones.
- Bicycles must be walked on the shared walkway.
- Eversource Gas work is continuing.
- Sidewalk shifts will be needed as Eversource Electric work continues into the existing sidewalk in mid-June.
- More Eversource gas and electric work needs to be incorporated the full build of Wadsworth Street from Memorial Drive onto Amherst Street. The timing and phasing is being reworked.
- Construction access at Gate 1, located on Hayward Street off Main Street, continues to be a major entrance into the project for excavation and concrete
- Full build on Amherst Street continues. The week of June 10th vehicular traffic will be moved to the south side of Amherst on gravel as crews will move to the north side of the street. The binder course is scheduled to be paved for three days in mid-June. Access to all driveways will be maintained (A1)
- Amherst Street remains one-way from Wadsworth Street toward Ames Street. Only police directed construction vehicles will have two-way access from Ames Street.
- Hayward Street, from Main Street to Amherst Street, remains closed for vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
General Construction Update
- Reinforcement steel, concrete operations, and excavation will continue with trucking in and out of Gates 1,4,5,6, and 7 at Amherst, Hayward, Carleton, and Main Streets.
- Finishing of concrete underground will require extended hours on days of placements.
- Concrete core work will continue with trucks entering from Gate 1 onto Hayward Street.
- Pre-trenching begins for drilled mini piles for the mega crane base on the south side of the site, near E40.
- E38 interior and exterior renovation activities will continue and will be serviced from Gate 11 (Between the MBTA and E38).
- Utility connections will be installed south of the MBTA head house.
- The concrete super-structure is complete and will begin to be de-mobilized.
- Mega panel installation continues on 2nd shift, from 3:00 PM to midnight.
- Daily deliveries of steel, concrete and removal of materials will take place from Amherst Street to Carleton Street or in and out through two Main Street gates.
- Steel installation is finishing up the 19th floor.
- Demolition of the existing wall and steps along Carleton Street will take place inside of the construction site.
- Site fencing will be installed at the Medical Building driveway. Only one entrance /exit lane will be available for ambulance drop-off / pick-up.
Police details will be utilized throughout the project area to assist with pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
Large equipment will be removed and brought back to the site daily. This activity may occur after hours but no disruptions are expected.
Saturday Work – General construction activities will continue on Saturdays. Work will occur within the City of Cambridge allowable work hours, 9:00 am to 6:00 pm