Construction Update August 2 - August 16
Street and Sidewalk Impacts
Wadsworth Street – Phase 2 Roadway Conditions into August 2019
- Access to Wadsworth Street from Main Street is closed to all traffic. (W1) The Sloan and Eastgate lot entrance is closed at Wadsworth Street.
- Construction vehicles and equipment continue to be set up and operate in this area and at the intersection with Amherst Street.
- The noisiest work will come from the intermittent use of vacuum trucks.
- Walkways will be maintained and located as required around construction work zones.
- Bicycles must be walked on the shared walkway.
- Eversource electric and gas work to continue.
- Tel/com cable work will take place.
- The full build of Wadsworth Street from Memorial Drive onto Amherst Street may begin with pavement demolition and regrading, one lane of vehicular traffic will be maintained. Vehicles will need to travel on gravel during this work. (W2)
- The pedestrian walkway will shift as a new walkway structure is built with overhead protection for future Site 3 building work.
- Construction access at Gate 1, located on Hayward Street off Main Street, continues to be a major entrance into the project for excavation and concrete.
- Eversource Gas is working east of Wadsworth Street.
- Full build on Amherst Street continues. Sidewalk restoration is underway. (A1)
- Amherst Street remains one-way from Wadsworth Street toward Ames Street. Only police directed construction vehicles will have two-way access from Ames Street.
- Hayward Street, from Main Street to Amherst Street, remains closed for vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
- Eversource gas is working from Ames Street in front of 70 Amherst Street, E2. (A2)
- Chilled water work involving vacuum trucks may take place in front of Muckley Building, E40. (A3)
General Construction Update
- Reinforcement steel, concrete operations, and excavation will continue with trucking in and out of Gates 1,4,5,6, and 7 at Amherst, Hayward, Carleton, and Main Streets.
- Finishing of concrete underground will require extended hours on days of placements.
- Concrete core work continues with trucks entering from Gate 1 onto Hayward Street.
- E38 interior and exterior renovation activities will continue and will be serviced from Gate 11 (between the MBTA and E38).
- Utility connections will be installed south of the MBTA head house have been completed.
- All material deliveries will continue to come from Main Street.
- Tower crane removal will begin on Friday, August 9th with removal complete by August 10th
- Daily deliveries of steel, concrete and removal of materials will take place from Amherst Street to Carleton Street or in and out through two Main Street gates.
- Exterior façade work continues.
- Demolition of the existing wall and steps along Carleton Street will take place inside of the construction site.
- Site fencing will be installed at the Medical Building driveway. Only one entrance /exit lane is available for ambulance drop-off/pick-up.
- Work is underway between Carleton and the Media Lab (E14) requiring relocation of the bike racks. Signage is posted.
City – Ames Street and Memorial Drive Cycle Project
- The Eastbound and Westbound U-turn lanes on Memorial Drive at Ames Street will be closed through November to allow the reconfiguration of the intersection to improve safety for cyclists and pedestrians crossing Memorial Drive.
Police details will be utilized throughout the project area to assist with pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
Large equipment will be removed and brought back to the site daily. This activity may occur after hours but no disruptions are expected.
Saturday Work – General construction activities will continue on Saturdays. Work will occur within the City of Cambridge allowable work hours, 9:00 am to 6:00 pm