Construction Update August 30 - September 13
Street and Sidewalk Impacts
Wadsworth Street – Phase 2 Roadway Conditions into September 2019
- Access to Wadsworth Street from Main Street is closed to all traffic. (W1) The Sloan and Eastgate lot entrance is closed at Wadsworth Street.
- Construction vehicles and equipment continue to be set up and operate in this area and at the intersection with Amherst Street.
- The noisiest work will come from the intermittent use of vacuum trucks.
- Walkways will be maintained and located as required around construction work zones.
- Bicycles must be walked on the shared covered walkway.
- Tel/com cable work will take place.
- The full build of Wadsworth Street from Memorial Drive onto Amherst Street will begin on Tuesday, September 3rd with pavement demolition and regrading starting on the E51 side of the street, one lane of vehicular traffic will be maintained. Vehicles will need to travel on gravel during this work. (W2)
- A large crane that has been installing steel for the Site 3 Building will be removed at the end of the first week of September. (W3)
- Construction access at Gate 1, located on Hayward Street off Main Street, continues to be a major entrance into the project for excavation and concrete.
- Eversource Gas is working east of Wadsworth Street.
- Full build on Amherst Street continues. Sidewalk restoration will continue on the south side of the street near 100 Memorial Drive and move towards 70 Amherst Street. The sidewalk will be closed with pedestrians relocated to a walkway across the street along the construction site, guided with jersey barriers, street cones and rails. (A1)
- Amherst Street remains one-way from Wadsworth Street toward Ames Street. Only police directed construction vehicles will have two-way access from Ames Street.
- Hayward Street, from Main Street to Amherst Street, remains closed for vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
- Eversource gas is working from Ames Street in front of 70 Amherst Street, E2. (A2)
General Construction Update
- Reinforcement steel, concrete operations, and excavation will continue with trucking in and out of Gates 1,4,5,6, and 7 at Amherst, Hayward, Carleton, and Main Streets.
- Finishing of concrete underground will require extended hours on days of placements.
- Concrete core work continues with trucks entering from Gate 1 onto Hayward Street.
- Steel work will begin on the first six floors of the new lab building with crews moving towards the middle of the building and using the tower crane.
- E38 interior and exterior renovation activities will continue and will be serviced from Gate 11 (between the MBTA and E38).
- Interior work is underway.
- All material deliveries to the loading dock will continue to come in from Main Street and exit at Carleton Street.
- Daily deliveries of steel, concrete and removal of materials will take place from Amherst Street to Carleton Street or in and out through two Main Street gates.
- Exterior façade work continues.
- Interior work is underway.
- Demolition of the existing wall and steps along Carleton Street will take place inside of the construction site.
- Site fencing will be installed at the Medical Building driveway. Only one entrance /exit lane is available for ambulance drop-off/pick-up.
- Work is underway between Carleton and the Media Lab (E14).
City – Ames Street and Memorial Drive Cycle Project
- The Eastbound and Westbound U-turn lanes on Memorial Drive at Ames Street will be closed through November to allow the reconfiguration of the intersection to improve safety for cyclists and pedestrians crossing Memorial Drive.
- The metered parking on the East side of Ames Street has been removed. (AM1)
- Beginning the week of September 9th from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM only, traffic will be one-way northbound between Amherst and Main Street.
Police details will be utilized throughout the project area to assist with pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
Large equipment will be removed and brought back to the site daily. This activity may occur after hours but no disruptions are expected.
Saturday Work – General construction activities will continue on Saturdays. Work will occur within the City of Cambridge allowable work hours, 9:00 am to 6:00 pm