Construction Update September 27 - October 11
Street and Sidewalk Impacts
Wadsworth Street – Phase 2 Roadway Conditions into October 2019
- Access to Wadsworth Street from Main Street is closed to all traffic. (W1) The Sloan and Eastgate lot entrance is closed at Wadsworth Street.
- Construction vehicles and equipment continue to be set up and operate in this area and at the intersection with Amherst Street.
- The noisiest work will come from the intermittent use of vacuum trucks.
- Walkways will be maintained and located as required around construction work zones.
- Bicycles must be walked on the shared covered walkway.
- Paving the binder course of Wadsworth Street from Memorial Drive onto Amherst Street is anticipated to take place on Friday, October 4th. One lane of traffic will be maintained at times on gravel. (W2)
- Construction access at Gate 1, located on Hayward Street off Main Street, continues to be a major entrance into the project for excavation and concrete.
- Gate 2 near Wadsworth Street will continue to be used.
- Eversource Gas is working east of Wadsworth Street.
- Lyft station removal is ongoing near the MBTA Main Headhouse causing pedestrian access shifts.
- Final paving on Amherst Street is scheduled for Saturday, September 28th. Amherst Street will be closed from Wadsworth to Ames Street that day as well.
- Sidewalk restoration will continue on the south side of the street near 70 Amherst Street. The sidewalk will be closed with pedestrians relocated to a walkway across the street along the construction site, guided with jersey barriers, street cones and rails. (A1)
- Amherst Street remains one-way from Wadsworth Street toward Ames Street. Only police directed construction vehicles will have two-way access from Ames Street.
- Hayward Street, from Main Street to Amherst Street, remains closed for vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
- Eversource gas is working from Ames Street in front of 70 Amherst Street, E2. (A2)
- Cable pulls will take place at the manholes on Saturdays.
General Construction Update
- Reinforcement steel, concrete operations, and excavation will continue with trucking in and out of Gates 1,4,5,6, and 7 at Amherst, Hayward, Carleton, and Main Streets.
- Finishing of concrete underground may require extended hours on days of placements.
- Steel work continues on the first six floors of the new lab building with crews moving towards the middle of the building and using the tower crane.
- Preparations are underway for installation of large cranes on site at Wadsworth Street and near Hayward Street and the Muckley Building, including closing the E40 loading dock to vehicles. Gravel deliveries will be through Gates 3 and 4.
- Concrete slab placements will begin with trucks entering at Gates 1, 2 or 3. The finishing work will require extended hours.
- E38 interior and exterior renovation activities will continue and will be serviced from Gate 11 (between the MBTA and E38).
- Interior work is underway.
- All material deliveries to the loading dock will continue to come in from Main Street and exit at Carleton Street.
- Infrastructure cable pulls on Ames, Amherst, Charlton, and Hayward Streets, are currently scheduled for Saturday September 28th.
- The tower crane on the south side will be disassembled on Friday, October 4th to Sunday, October 6th from 7:00 AM – 7:00 PM, and the trailers will be loaded out onto Carleton Street.
- Daily deliveries and removal of materials will take place from Amherst Street to Carleton Street or in and out through two Main Street gates.
- Utility work along Main Street will begin.
- Exterior façade work continues.
- Interior work is underway.
- Work continues on the concrete wall and steps along Carleton Street inside of the construction site.
- Paving is anticipated on the northern end of MIT Medical’s ambulance ramp at the end of the first week of October followed by demolition of the southern half of the ramp.
- The site fence on Dock Street will be relocated closer to the hotel to install curbing and new sidewalk inside the site.
- Only one entrance /exit lane is available for ambulance drop-off/pick-up.
- Work is underway between Carleton and the Media Lab (E14).
City – Ames Street and Memorial Drive Cycle Project
- The Eastbound and Westbound U-turn lanes on Memorial Drive at Ames Street will be closed through November to allow the reconfiguration of the intersection to improve safety for cyclists and pedestrians crossing Memorial Drive.
- The metered parking on the East side of Ames Street has been removed. (AM1)
- Beginning the week of the first week of October from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM only, traffic will be one-way northbound from Amherst to Main Street.
To minimize traffic disruptions a one-night street milling activity is planned from 7:00 PM to 5:00 AM during the first two weeks of October.