Construction Update October 11 - October 25
Street and Sidewalk Impacts
Wadsworth Street – Phase 2 Roadway Conditions into October 2019
- Access to Wadsworth Street from Main Street is closed to all traffic. (W1) The Sloan and Eastgate lot entrance is closed at Wadsworth Street.
- Construction vehicles and equipment continue to be set up and operate near Gate 3 and at the intersection with Amherst Street.
- The noisiest work will come from the intermittent use of vacuum trucks.
- Walkways will be maintained and located as required around construction work zones.
- Bicycles must be walked on the shared covered walkway.
- Utility structures are being raised and sidewalk installs will take place. (W2)
- The covered pedestrian walkway is scheduled to be closed from Friday, October 25th through Monday, October 28th to accommodate a large crane at Site 3. An alternative route through the E55 lot will be set up with signage and police details.
- Construction access at Gate 1, located on Hayward Street off Main Street, continues to be a major entrance into the project for excavation and concrete.
- Gate 2 near Wadsworth Street will continue to be used.
- Eversource Gas is working east of Wadsworth Street.
- Line painting and permanent signage will take place.
- Sidewalk restoration will continue on the south side of the street near 70 Amherst Street. The sidewalk will be closed with pedestrians relocated to a walkway across the street along the construction site, guided with jersey barriers, street cones and rails. (A1)
- Amherst Street remains one-way from Wadsworth Street toward Ames Street. Only police directed construction vehicles will have two-way access from Ames Street.
- Hayward Street, from Main Street to Amherst Street, remains closed for vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
- Eversource gas is working from Ames Street in front of 70 Amherst Street, E2. (A2)
- Sidewalk replacement work will continue and lighting install will start on the northern side of the road, including at Carleton Street.
General Construction Update
- Reinforcement steel, concrete operations, and excavation will continue with trucking in and out of Gates 1,4,5,6, and 7 at Amherst, Hayward, Carleton, and Main Streets.
- Finishing of concrete underground may require extended hours on days of placements.
- Steel work continues on the first six floors of the new lab building with crews moving towards the middle of the building and using the tower crane.
- Preparations are underway for installation of large cranes on site at Wadsworth Street and near Hayward Street and the Muckley Building, including closing the E40 loading dock to vehicles. Gravel deliveries will be through Gates 3 and 4.
- Concrete slab placements is ongoing with trucks entering at Gates 1, 2 or 3. The finishing work will require extended hours.
- E38 interior and exterior renovation activities will continue and will be serviced from Gate 11 (between the MBTA and E38).
- Interior work is underway.
- All material deliveries to the loading dock will continue to come in from Main Street and exit at Carleton Street.
- The tower crane on the south side will be disassembled on Friday, October 18th to Sunday, October 20th from 7:00 AM – 7:00 PM, and the trailers will be loaded out onto Carleton Street.
- Daily deliveries and removal of materials will take place from Amherst Street to Carleton Street or in and out through two Main Street gates.
- Utility work along Main Street will begin.
- Exterior façade work continues.
- Interior work is underway.
- Pedestrian shifts are necessary as work continues on the sidewalk, concrete wall and steps along Carleton Street inside of the construction site.
- The ambulance drop-off/pick-up areas will shift as work progresses on the south ambulance ramp.
- Work is underway between Carleton and the Media Lab (E14).
City – Ames Street and Memorial Drive Cycle Project
- The Eastbound and Westbound U-turn lanes on Memorial Drive at Ames Street will be closed through November to allow the reconfiguration of the intersection to improve safety for cyclists and pedestrians crossing Memorial Drive
- The metered parking on the East side of Ames Street has been removed. (AM1)
- Traffic will continue to be one-way northbound from Amherst to Main Street from 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM only.
- Crosswalk and handicap ramp reconfiguration at the Ames/Amherst intersection will be ongoing through the end of October.
To minimize traffic disruptions a two-night street paving activity is planned on Ames Street and Memorial Drive from 7:00 PM to 5:00 AM during the week of October 21st.