Construction Update November 8 - November 22
Street and Sidewalk Impacts
Wadsworth Street – Phase 2 Roadway Conditions into November 2019
- Access to Wadsworth Street from Main Street is closed to all traffic. (W1) The Sloan and Eastgate lot entrance is closed at Wadsworth Street.
- Sidewalk reconstruction is finishing up.
- The noisiest work will come from the intermittent use of vacuum trucks.
- Walkways will be maintained and located as required around construction work zones.
- Bicycles must be walked on the shared covered walkway.
- Eversource Gas is working near the Hermann Garage and at the walkway in front of Eastgate. Walkway access will be maintained.
- Construction access at Gate 1, located on Hayward Street off Main Street, continues to be a major entrance into the project for excavation and concrete.
- Gate 2 near Wadsworth Street will continue to be used.
- Line painting and permanent signage will take place.
- Sidewalk restoration will restart on the south side of the street near 70 Amherst Street. The entrance stairs will be closed and residents will be directed to use the ramp. The sidewalk will be closed with pedestrians relocated to a walkway across the street along the construction site. (A1)
- Amherst Street remains one-way from Wadsworth Street toward Ames Street. Only police directed construction vehicles will have two-way access from Ames Street.
- Hayward Street, from Main Street to Amherst Street, remains closed for vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
- Sidewalk replacement work will continue and lighting install will start on the northern side of the road, including at Carleton Street.
General Construction Update
- Reinforcement steel, concrete operations, and excavation will continue with trucking in and out of Gates 1,4,5,6, and 7 at Amherst, Hayward, Carleton, and Main Streets.
- Finishing of concrete underground may require extended hours on days of placements.
- Steel work continues on the seventh floor of the new lab building using the tower crane.
- The mega crane will be disassembled and timber mats/gravel removed. Plate girder steel will be erected over the next 2 weeks. Due to the massive steel girders and cranes, there will be after hours work for deliveries and crane erection. After hours permits have been obtained for crane dismantling.
- Concrete slab placements are ongoing with trucks entering at Gates 1, 2 or 3. The finishing work will require extended hours.
- E38 interior and exterior renovation activities will continue and will be serviced from Gate 11 (between the MBTA and E38).
- Interior work is underway.
- All material deliveries to the loading dock will continue to come in from Main Street and exit at Carleton Street.
- Daily deliveries and removal of materials will take place from Amherst Street to Carleton Street or in and out through two Main Street gates.
- Utility work along Main Street will begin.
- Exterior façade work continues.
- Interior work is underway.
- Pedestrian shifts are necessary as work continues on the sidewalk, concrete wall and steps along Carleton Street inside of the construction site.
- The ambulance drop-off/pick-up areas has shifted as work progresses on the south ambulance ramp. Personnel are in place to direct patients to Medical from the lot.
- Work is underway between Carleton and the Media Lab (E14).
City – Ames Street and Memorial Drive Cycle Project
- The Eastbound and Westbound U-turn lanes on Memorial Drive at Ames Street will be closed through November to allow the reconfiguration of the intersection to improve safety for cyclists and pedestrians crossing Memorial Drive
- The metered parking on the East side of Ames Street has been removed. (AM1)
- Crosswalk and handicap ramp reconfiguration at the Ames/Amherst intersection will be ongoing through the end of November.
- Line striping along Ames Street will occur during the week of November 11th.