Construction Update December 6 - December 20
Street and Sidewalk Impacts
Wadsworth Street – Phase 2 Roadway Conditions into December 2019
- Access to Wadsworth Street from Main Street is closed to all traffic. (W1) The Sloan and Eastgate lot entrance is closed at Wadsworth Street.
- Walkways will be maintained and located as required around construction work zones.
- Bicycles must be walked on the shared covered walkway.
- Gate 3 near the Muckley Building continues to be heavily used.
- Construction access at Gate 1, located on Hayward Street off Main Street, continues to be a major entrance into the project for excavation and concrete.
- Gate 2 near Wadsworth Street will continue to be used.
- A Verizon line is being installed at the sidewalk in front of the Kendall Hotel across Dock Street to Site 5.
- Depending on weather conditions sidewalk restoration may take place or be pushed to spring on the south side of the street near 70 Amherst Street. If it happens, the entrance stairs will be closed and residents will be directed to use the ramp. The sidewalk will be closed with pedestrians relocated to a walkway across the street along the construction site. (A1)
- Amherst Street remains one-way from Wadsworth Street toward Ames Street. Only police directed construction vehicles will have two-way access from Ames Street.
- Hayward Street, from Main Street to Amherst Street, remains closed for vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
- Sidewalk replacement work will continue and lighting install will start on the northern side of the road, including at Carleton Street and at Ames Street near the Media Lab.
General Construction Update
- Reinforcement steel, concrete operations, and excavation will continue with trucking in and out of Gates 1,4,5,6, and 7 at Amherst, Hayward, Carleton, and Main Streets.
- Finishing of concrete underground may require extended hours on days of placements.
- Steel erection continues on the new lab building using the tower crane.
- Concrete slab placements are ongoing with trucks entering at Gates 1, 2 or 3. The finishing work will require extended hours.
- Hoist and loading dock installation is finishing up on Wadsworth Street with hoist operation planned within a week or two.
- E38 interior and exterior renovation activities will continue and will be serviced from Gate 11 (between the MBTA and E38).
- E37 interior work continues.
- All material deliveries to the loading dock will continue to come in from Main Street and exit at Carleton Street.
- Daily deliveries and removal of materials will take place from Amherst Street to Carleton Street or in and out through two Main Street gates.
- Utility work along Main Street continues.
- Interior work continues.
- Pedestrian shifts are necessary as work continues on the sidewalk, concrete wall and steps along Carleton Street inside of the construction site.
- The northern section of the ambulance drop-off/pick-up ramp will reopen next week allowing patients to drive to the door from the south ramp entrance and continue straight to exit from the north ramp. Personnel are in place to direct patients to Medical from the lot.
- Work is underway between Carleton and the Media Lab (E14).
City – Ames Street and Memorial Drive Cycle Project
- The Eastbound and Westbound U-turn lanes on Memorial Drive at Ames Street are closed permanently to improve safety for cyclists and pedestrians crossing Memorial Drive. Eastbound traffic continues to use the Wadsworth Street U-turn lanes.
- Crews are finalizing work on the intersection’s new traffic signals.
- The metered parking on the East side of Ames Street has been removed. (AM1)
- Bike lane striping is complete. Traffic delineators are being installed.
- Crosswalk and handicap ramp reconfiguration at the Ames/Amherst intersection is complete.