Construction Update December 20 - January 3
Street and Sidewalk Impacts
Wadsworth Street – Phase 2 Roadway Conditions into January 2020
- Access to Wadsworth Street from Main Street is closed to all traffic. (W1) The Sloan and Eastgate lot entrance is closed at Wadsworth Street.
- Preparations are underway to return the street section from Memorial to Amherst Streets to two-way traffic.
- Walkways will be maintained and located as required around construction work zones.
- Bicycles must be walked on the shared covered walkway.
- Gate 3 near the Muckley Building continues to be heavily used.
- Construction access at Gate 1, located on Hayward Street off Main Street, continues to be a major entrance into the project for excavation and concrete.
- Gate 2 near Wadsworth Street will continue to be used.
- The covered pedestrian walkway between the MBTA and Hayward Street will be shifting back to the sidewalk by the end of this week followed by removal of the existing covered walkway in the parking lane.
- Amherst Street remains one-way from Wadsworth Street toward Ames Street. Only police directed construction vehicles will have two-way access from Ames Street.
- Preparations are underway to return to two-way traffic.
- Hayward Street, from Main Street to Amherst Street, remains closed for vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
- Sidewalk replacement work will continue and lighting install will continue on the northern side of the road, including at Carleton Street and at Ames Street near the Media Lab.
General Construction Update
- Reinforcement steel, concrete operations, and excavation will continue with trucking in and out of Gates 1,4,5,6, and 7 at Amherst, Hayward, Carleton, and Main Streets.
- Finishing of concrete underground may require extended hours on days of placements.
- Steel erection continues on the new lab building using the tower crane.
- Concrete slab placements are ongoing with trucks entering at Gates 1, 2 or 3. The finishing work will require extended hours.
- The hoist and loading dock are operating on Wadsworth.
- E38 interior and exterior renovation activities will continue and will be serviced from Gate 11 (between the MBTA and E38).
- E37 interior work continues.
- All material deliveries to the loading dock will continue to come in from Main Street and exit at Carleton Street.
- Daily deliveries and removal of materials will take place from Amherst Street to Carleton Street or in and out through two Main Street gates.
- Utility work along Main Street continues.
- Interior work continues.
- Pedestrian shifts are necessary as work continues on the sidewalk, concrete wall and steps along Carleton Street inside of the construction site.
- The northern section of the ambulance drop-off/pick-up ramp has reopened to allow patients to drive to the door from the south ramp entrance and continue straight to exit from the north ramp. Personnel are in place to direct patients to Medical from the lot.
- Preparations are underway to shift the Medical Lot and its entrance from Carleton to Amherst streets, (anticipated in mid- January).
- Work is underway between Carleton and the Media Lab (E14).
City – Ames Street and Memorial Drive Cycle Project
- The new intersection on Memorial Drive at Ames Street will be open to traffic by the end of December. This will allow Southbound traffic on Ames Street to cross Memorial Drive and head East. Eastbound Memorial Drive traffic will continue to use the Wadsworth Street U-turn lanes.
- Crews are finalizing work on the intersection’s new traffic signals.
- Bike lane striping is complete. Traffic delineators are installed.