Construction Update January 17 - January 31
Street and Sidewalk Impacts
Wadsworth Street – Phase 2 Roadway Conditions into January 2020
- Access to Wadsworth Street from Main Street is closed to all traffic. (W1) The Sloan and Eastgate lot entrance is closed at Wadsworth Street.
- The street section from Memorial to Amherst Streets has returned to two-way traffic. (W2)
- Walkways will be maintained and located as required around construction work zones.
- Bicycles must be walked on the shared covered walkway.
- Gate 3 near the Muckley Building continues to be heavily used.
- Construction access at Gate 1, located on Hayward Street off Main Street, continues to be a major entrance into the project for excavation and concrete.
- Gate 2 near Wadsworth Street will continue to be used.
- Work is expected to begin at the end of the month on the renovation and modernization of the headhouse leading to the Kendall Square inbound MBTA station. Access to and from the station is scheduled to be maintained throughout construction. Pedestrian pathways will shift. (M1)
- Amherst Street has returned to two-way traffic between Wadsworth and Ames streets. (A1)
- Starting Monday, January 20th, the entrance to the patients’ Medical Lot will be on Amherst Street between Carleton and Hayward Streets. (A2). Ambulance and patient drop off only will use Carleton Street.
- Hayward Street, from Main Street to Amherst Street, remains closed for vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
- Sidewalk replacement work will continue and lighting install will continue on the northern side of the road, including at Carleton Street.
General Construction Update
- Reinforcement steel, concrete operations, and excavation will continue with trucking in and out of Gates 1,4,5,6, and 7 at Amherst, Hayward, Carleton, and Main Streets.
- Finishing of concrete underground may require extended hours on days of placements.
- Steel erection continues on the new lab building using the tower crane.
- Concrete slab placements are ongoing with trucks entering at Gates 1, 2 or 3. The finishing work will require extended hours.
- The hoist and loading dock are operating on Wadsworth.
- Curtainwall deliveries and installation are ongoing.
- E37 interior work continues.
- All material deliveries to the loading dock will continue to come in from Main Street and exit at Carleton Street.
- Daily deliveries and removal of materials will take place from Amherst Street to Carleton Street or in and out through two Main Street gates.
- Utility work along Main Street continues.
- Interior work continues.
- Pedestrian shifts are necessary as work continues on the sidewalk, concrete wall and steps along Carleton Street inside of the construction site.
- The northern section of the ambulance drop-off/pick-up ramp at Carleton Street has reopened to allow patients to drive to the door from the south ramp entrance and continue straight to exit from the north ramp. Personnel are in place to direct patients to Medical from the lot.
- The Medical Lot entrance will be shifted from Carleton Street to Amherst Street beginning on Monday, January 20th.
- Work is underway between Carleton and the Media Lab (E14).
City – Ames Street and Memorial Drive Cycle Project
- The new intersection on Memorial Drive at Ames Street is open, allowing Southbound traffic on Ames Street to cross Memorial Drive and head East. Eastbound Memorial Drive traffic will continue to use the Wadsworth Street U-turn lanes.
- Traffic signal final adjustments are ongoing.
- To accommodate an MIT steam project, traffic will continue to be one-way northbound from Amherst to Main Street from 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM only.