Construction Update June 12 - June 26
Construction continues at the Kendall Square projects consistent with the requirements set forth by the City of Cambridge and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Each contractor is required to strictly adhere to its approved COVID-19 Health and Safety Plan.
Street and Sidewalk Impacts
Wadsworth Street – Phase 2 Roadway Conditions through June 2020
- Access to Wadsworth Street from Main Street is closed to all traffic. (W1) The Sloan and Eastgate lot entrance is closed at Wadsworth Street.
- The street section from Memorial to Amherst Streets has returned to two-way traffic. (W2)
- Walkways will be maintained and located as required around construction work zones.
- Bicycles must be walked on the shared covered walkway.
- Gate 3 near the Muckley Building will be heavily used.
- Construction equipment including a boom lift will be in the Main Street parking lane in front of Building 38.
- Starting Monday, June 15th, furniture deliveries for E38 will begin, access will be via Gate 1 or Gate 11 near the MBTA headhouse.
- Hardscape work and tree planting will continue with equipment on Main Street between the MBTA headhouse and Dock Street.
- Construction access at Gate 1, located on Hayward Street off Main Street, will continue to be a major entrance into the project for deliveries.
- Gate 2 near Wadsworth Street will continue to be used.
- To prepare for utility work associated with the renovation and modernization of the headhouse leading to the Kendall Square inbound MBTA station, the pedestrian pathway closer to Site 5 and the Kendall Hotel will be blocked for a couple of days while crews rearrange construction fences. Afterwards the pedestrian pathway in this area will shift. Access to and from the station will continue to be maintained throughout construction. (M1)
- Amherst Street has returned to two-way traffic between Wadsworth and Ames Streets. (A1)
- The entrance to the patients’ Medical Lot has been relocated to Amherst Street between Carleton and Hayward Streets. (A2).
- Gate 4 at Hayward Street will be a major exit for construction trucks and equipment.
- Hayward Street, from Main Street to Amherst Street, remains closed for vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
- Lighting install will continue on the northern side of the road.
- Eversource Electric utility cables and pole removal will take place on the northern side of the road.
- The catering ramp to the E40 Muckley loading dock remains closed. All cart deliveries to E40 will enter E51 and take the pedestrian bridge to the 3rd floor of E40.
- Starting the week of June 22th, Carleton Street will be rebuilt, resulting in pedestrian and vehicular traffic shifts including the closure of the temp walkway from the Medical Lot.
- MIT Medical ambulance, patient drop off and testing only will use Carleton Street
General Construction Update
- Reinforcement steel, concrete operations, and minor excavation will continue with trucking in and out of Gates 1, 4, and 5 at Amherst, Hayward, and Main Streets.
- Finishing of concrete underground may require extended hours on days of placements.
Site 1: 165 Main Street
- Elevator core work is complete.
- Steel erection has begun.
- Steel work will continue at the penthouse, roof, the atrium and bridge between the tower and 238 Main Street building.
- A loading dock will be placed for 238 Main Street in the southeast corner of the building on Wadsworth Street.
- Concrete slab placements will continue with trucks entering at Gates 1, 2, or 3. The finishing work may require extended hours.
- The hoist and loading dock are operating on Wadsworth Street.
- Curtainwall deliveries and installation will continue.
- E37 interior work continues.
- All material deliveries to the loading dock will continue to come in from Main Street and exit at Carleton Street.
Site 5: 314 Main Street
- Daily deliveries and removal of materials will take place from Amherst Street to Carleton Street or in and out through two Main Street gates.
- Interior finish work and exterior landscaping work continues.
- Pedestrian and vehicular shifts are necessary as work will continue on the sidewalk, roadway, concrete wall and steps.
- The week of June 22nd, the northern section of the ambulance drop-off/pick-up ramp at Carleton Street will be closed during the first phase of Carleton Street rebuild. Personnel will be in place to direct ambulances, drop offs and patients to Medical.
- The Medical Lot entrance is now on Amherst Street.
City – Ames Street and Memorial Drive Cycle Project
- Eversource Gas will continue tying into buildings on Ames Street.
City – Vassar Street Raised Cycle Track Project
- Work will begin in June on extending the raised cycle track on Vassar Street to Main Street.
- Detours will be set up to maintain pedestrian, bike and vehicle traffic. Police details will be on site to assist during all work.