Construction Update July 10 - July 24
Street and Sidewalk Impacts
Wadsworth Street – Phase 2 Roadway Conditions through July 2020
- Access to Wadsworth Street from Main Street is closed to all traffic. (W1) The Sloan and Eastgate lot entrance is closed at Wadsworth Street.
- The street section from Memorial to Amherst Streets has returned to two-way traffic. (W2)
- Eversource Gas will be upgrading the mains to intermediate pressure all day and evening on Tuesday, July 14th. Expect multiple vehicles and possible gas odors during testing.
- Walkways will be maintained and located as required around construction work zones.
- Bicycles must be walked on the shared covered walkway.
- Gate 3 near the Muckley Building will be heavily used.
- Furniture deliveries for E38 will continue via Gate 1 or Gate 11 near the MBTA headhouse.
- Hardscape work will continue with equipment on Main Street between the MBTA headhouse and Dock Street and in front of Site 4.
- Construction access at Gate 1, located on Hayward Street off Main Street, will continue to be a major entrance into the project for deliveries.
- Gate 2 near Wadsworth Street will continue to be used.
- To prepare for utility work associated with the renovation and modernization of the headhouse leading to the Kendall Square inbound MBTA station, the pedestrian pathway closer to Site 5 and the Kendall Hotel will be blocked for a couple of days while crews rearrange construction fences. Afterwards the pedestrian pathway in this area will shift. Access to and from the station will continue to be maintained throughout construction. (M1)
- Amherst Street has returned to two-way traffic between Wadsworth and Ames Streets. (A1)
- The entrance to the patients’ Medical Lot has been relocated to Amherst Street between Carleton and Hayward Streets. (A2).
- Gate 4 at Hayward Street continues as a major exit for construction trucks and equipment.
- Hayward Street, from Main Street to Amherst Street, remains closed for vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
- Eversource Gas will be upgrading the mains to intermediate pressure all day and evening on Tuesday, July 14th. Work will be concentrated in front of E2, 70 Amherst Street. Expect multiple vehicles and possible gas odors during testing.
- Lighting install will continue on the northern side of the road.
- Eversource Electric utility cables and pole removal will take place on the northern side of the road.
- The catering ramp to the E40 Muckley loading dock remains closed. All cart deliveries to E40 will enter E51 and take the pedestrian bridge to the 3rd floor of E40.
- Carleton Street continues to be rebuilt, resulting in pedestrian and vehicular traffic shifts including the closure of the temp walkway from the Medical Lot.
- Eversource Gas will be upgrading the mains inside the construction fence to intermediate pressure all day and evening on Tuesday, July 14th. Expect multiple vehicles and possible gas odors during testing
- MIT Medical ambulance, patient drop off and testing only will use Carleton Street
General Construction Update
- Reinforcement steel and concrete operations will continue with trucking in and out of Gates 1, 4, and 5 at Amherst, Hayward, and Main Streets.
Site 1: 165 Main Street
- Steel erection is ongoing at Level 4.
- Steel deliveries will occur 2-3 days per week off of Broad Canal Way
- Exterior work will continue at the penthouse, roof, the atrium and bridge between the tower and 238 Main Street building.
- A loading dock and scaffolding is being placed for 238 Main Street in the southeast corner of the building on Wadsworth Street.
- Concrete placements continue with trucks entering at Gates 1, 2, or 3. The finishing work may require extended hours.
- The hoist and loading dock are operating on Wadsworth Street.
- Curtainwall deliveries and installation will continue.
- E37 interior work continues.
- All material deliveries to the underground loading dock will continue to come in from Main Street and exit at Amherst Street.
Site 5: 314 Main Street
- Daily deliveries and removal of materials will take place from Amherst Street to Carleton Street, in and out through two Main Street gates or to the underground loading dock.
- Interior finish work and exterior landscaping work continues.
- Pedestrian and vehicular shifts are necessary as work will continue on the sidewalk, roadway, concrete wall and steps.
- The northern section of the ambulance drop-off/pick-up ramp at Carleton Street will continue to be closed during the first phase of Carleton Street rebuild.
- Paving will take place and the southern section of the ambulance ramp will close for Phase II of the rebuild. The northern entrance will reopen. Personnel will be in place to direct ambulances, drop offs and patients to Medical.
- The Medical Lot entrance is now on Amherst Street.
City – Ames Street and Memorial Drive Cycle Project
- Rebuild and restoration of the mid-block crossing in front of E15 is ongoing.
- Pavement milling from the mid-block crossing to Memorial Drive will occur the week of July 20th.
City – Vassar Street Raised Cycle Track Project
- Work continues on extending the raised cycle track on Vassar Street to Main Street.
- Detours are set up to maintain pedestrian, bike and vehicle traffic. Police details are on site to assist during all work.