Construction Update July 24 - August 7
Street and Sidewalk Impacts
Wadsworth Street – Phase 2 Roadway Conditions into August 2020
- Preparations to pave Wadsworth Street from Memorial to Amherst Streets will begin with milling scheduled for Thursday, July 30th from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm. Expect noise and disruption of traffic patterns. Crews will continue to work on the roadway through paving in mid-August. (W2)
- Access to Wadsworth Street from Main Street is closed to all traffic. (W1) The Sloan and Eastgate lot entrance is closed at Wadsworth Street.
- Walkways will be maintained and located as required around construction work zones.
- Bicycles must be walked on the shared covered walkway.
- Gate 3 near the Muckley Building will be heavily used.
- A crane will be in operation is the Eastgate/Sloan lot on Monday, July 27th from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm to assist with drilling, boring and test pit activities.
- Milling and paving at Dock Street is scheduled to take place on Monday and Tuesday, July 27th and 28th.
- Furniture deliveries for E38 will continue via Gate 1 or Gate 11 near the MBTA headhouse.
- Hardscape work will continue with equipment on Main Street between the MBTA headhouse and Dock Street and in front of Site 4.
- Construction access at Gate 1, located on Hayward Street off Main Street, will continue to be a major entrance into the project for deliveries.
- Gate 2 near Wadsworth Street will continue to be used.
- Utility work will begin in the area associated with the renovation and modernization of the headhouse leading to the Kendall Square inbound MBTA station. Access to and from the station will continue to be maintained throughout construction. (M1)
- Amherst to Carleton streets is being prepped for paving in August and is being backfilled by Eversource Gas. Expect slow moving, one-lane traffic and gravel at times. (A3)
- Amherst Street has returned to two-way traffic between Wadsworth and Ames Streets. (A1)
- The entrance to the patients’ Medical Lot has been relocated to Amherst Street between Carleton and Hayward Streets. (A2).
- Gate 4 at Hayward Street continues as a major exit for construction trucks and equipment.
- Hayward Street, from Main Street to Amherst Street, remains closed for vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
- Lighting install will continue on the northern side of the road.
- Eversource Electric utility cables and pole removal will take place on the northern side of the road.
- The catering ramp to the E40 Muckley loading dock remains closed. All cart deliveries to E40 will enter E51 and take the pedestrian bridge to the 3rd floor of E40.
- Carleton Street continues to be rebuilt, resulting in pedestrian and vehicular traffic shifts including the closure of the temp walkway from the Medical Lot.
- MIT Medical ambulance, patient drop off and testing only will use Carleton Street
General Construction Update
- Reinforcement steel and concrete operations will continue with trucking in and out of Gates 1 and 4 at Amherst, Hayward, and Main Streets.
Site 1: 165 Main Street
- Steel erection is ongoing at Level 6.
- Concrete operations are underway.
- Steel deliveries will occur 2-3 days per week and concrete deliveries come in from Broad Canal Way
- Exterior work will continue at the penthouse, roof, the atrium and bridge between the tower and 238 Main Street building.
- A City of Cambridge variance to operate the tower crane at 7 am on Saturday, July 25th is in place to lift a generator off Hayward Street.
- Concrete placements continue with trucks entering at Gates 1, 2, or 3.
- The hoist and loading dock are operating on Wadsworth Street.
- Curtainwall deliveries and installation will continue.
- E37 interior work continues.
- All material deliveries to the underground loading dock will continue to come in from Main Street and exit at Amherst Street.
Site 5: 314 Main Street
- Daily deliveries and removal of materials will take place from Amherst Street to Carleton Street, in and out through two Main Street gates or to the underground loading dock.
- Interior finish work and exterior landscaping work continues.
- Paving will take place and the southern section of the ambulance ramp is closed for Phase II of the Carleton Street rebuild. Personnel will be in place to direct ambulances, drop offs and patients to Medical to the reopened northern ramp entrance.
- Paving operations will take place on Dock Street and Charlotte’s Way the week of July 27th.
City – Ames Street and Memorial Drive Cycle Project
- Preparation for paving the week of August 10th is ongoing from the mid-block crossing to Memorial Drive. Expect slow-moving one-lane traffic and gravel at times.
City – Vassar Street Raised Cycle Track Project
- Work continues on extending the raised cycle track on Vassar Street to Main Street.
- Detours are set up to maintain pedestrian, bike and vehicle traffic. Police details are on site to assist during all work.