Construction Update August 7 - August 21
Street and Sidewalk Impacts
Wadsworth Street – Phase 2 Roadway Conditions into August 2020
- As preparations continue for final paving on Wadsworth Street from Memorial to Amherst Streets, one lane will be milled mid-week the week of August 10th. Paving is scheduled for one day the week of August 17th to 19th from 7 am to 6 pm. Traffic patterns will be disrupted. Expect slow-moving one lane traffic and gravel at times and rerouting. (W2)
- Access to Wadsworth Street from Main Street is closed to all traffic. (W1) The Sloan and Eastgate lot entrance is closed at Wadsworth Street.
- Walkways will be maintained and located as required around construction work zones.
- Bicycles must be walked on the shared covered walkway.
- Gate 3 near the Muckley Building will be heavily used.
- Sidewalk and pavement replacement and repair will take place near the Kendall Hotel and Dock Street and in front of 314 Main Street (Site 5) for the next two weeks.
- Furniture deliveries for E38 will continue via Gate 1 or Gate 11 near the MBTA headhouse.
- Hardscape work will finish up with equipment on Main Street between the MBTA headhouse and Dock Street and in front of Site 4.
- Construction access at Gate 1, located on Hayward Street off Main Street, will continue to be a major entrance into the project for deliveries.
- Gate 2 near Wadsworth Street will continue to be used.
- Utility work is ongoing in the area associated with the renovation and modernization of the headhouse leading to the Kendall Square inbound MBTA station. An off hours water shutdown will take place on site between the hours of 8:00 PM and 5:00 AM over one night during the week of August 14th. There will be no water service impacts to any abutters in the area. Access to and from the station will continue to be maintained throughout construction. (M1)
- Amherst to Carleton streets is being prepped for paving in August and is being backfilled by Eversource Gas. Expect slow moving, one-lane traffic and gravel at times. Paving will take place one day later the week of August 10th. (A3)
- Amherst Street has returned to two-way traffic between Wadsworth and Ames Streets. (A1)
- The entrance to the patients’ Medical Lot has been relocated to Amherst Street between Carleton and Hayward Streets. (A2).
- Gate 4 at Hayward Street continues as a major exit for construction trucks and equipment.
- Hayward Street, from Main Street to Amherst Street, remains closed for vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
- Lighting install will continue on the northern side of the road.
- Eversource Electric utility cables and pole removal continues to take place on the northern side of the road.
- The catering ramp to the E40 Muckley loading dock remains closed. All cart deliveries to E40 will enter E51 and take the pedestrian bridge to the 3rd floor of E40.
- Carleton Street continues to be rebuilt, resulting in pedestrian and vehicular traffic shifts including the closure of the temp walkway from the Medical Lot.
- Curb install, paving prep and paving will take place along the medical lot side of southern section of the street.
- MIT Medical ambulance, patient drop off and testing only will use Carleton Street
- Personnel will be in place to direct ambulances, drop offs and patients to MIT Medical.
General Construction Update
- Finish work is underway with trucking in and out of Gates 1 and 4 at Amherst, Hayward, and Main Streets.
Site 1: 165 Main Street
- Steel erection is ongoing from Level 8.
- Concrete operations are underway.
- Steel deliveries will occur 2-3 days per week and concrete deliveries come in from Broad Canal Way
- Exterior work will continue at the penthouse, roof, the atrium and bridge between the tower and 238 Main Street building.
- A City of Cambridge variance to install a crane off Hayward Street near E40 will be in place on Monday, August 10th after hours until 10:00 PM.
- Concrete placements continue with trucks entering at Gates 1, 2, or 3.
- The hoist and loading dock are operating on Wadsworth Street.
- Curtainwall deliveries and installation will continue.
- Occasional noisy work is underway inside 238 Main Street with interior demolition and rehab as well as window replacement.
- E37 interior work continues.
- All material deliveries to the underground loading dock will continue to come in from Main Street and exit at Amherst Street.
Site 5: 314 Main Street
- Occasional deliveries and removal of materials will take place from Amherst Street to Carleton Street, with most taking place at the underground loading dock.
- Interior finish work and exterior landscaping work continues.
- Sidewalk demolition and installation will take place along the Amherst Street side of E23, MIT Medical. The exterior emergency exit will be maintained for emergency only.
City – Ames Street and Memorial Drive Cycle Project
- Preparation for paving the week of August 17th is ongoing from the mid-block crossing to Memorial Drive. Expect slow-moving one-lane traffic and gravel at times.
City – Vassar Street Raised Cycle Track Project
- Work continues on extending the raised cycle track on Vassar Street to Main Street.
- Milling of the roadway will occur on Friday, August 7th. Paving will occur on Friday, August 14th. Traffic on Vassar will be one-way during these activities.
- Detours are set up to maintain pedestrian, bike and vehicle traffic. Police details are on site to assist during all work.