Kendall Square Construction Update September 4 - September 18
Street and Sidewalk Impacts
Wadsworth Street – Phase 2 Roadway Conditions through September 2020
- Access to Wadsworth Street from Main Street is closed to all traffic. (W1) The Sloan and Eastgate lot entrance is closed at Wadsworth Street.
- Walkways will be maintained and located as required around construction work zones.
- Bicycles must be walked on the shared covered walkway.
- Gate 3 near the Muckley Building will be heavily used.
- Sidewalk replacement and repair will take place near the Kendall Hotel for three days beginning on Wednesday, September 9th.
- Line striping will take place in the parking lane in front of 314 Main Street (Site 5).
- Furniture deliveries for E38 will continue via Gate 1 or Gate 11 near the MBTA headhouse.
- Construction access at Gate 1, located on Hayward Street off Main Street, will continue to be a major entrance into the project for deliveries.
- Gate 2 near Wadsworth Street will continue to be used.
- Utility work is ongoing in the area associated with the renovation and modernization of the headhouse leading to the Kendall Square inbound MBTA station. An off hours water shutdown will take place on site between the hours of 8:00 PM and 5:00 AM over one night. There will be no water service impacts to any abutters in the area. Access to and from the station will continue to be maintained throughout construction. (M1)
- A shift in pathways is scheduled for Thursday, September 10th at the MBTA headhouse. An MBTA flagger will be directing pedestrians.
- Eversource Gas is planning to install a new line from east of Wadsworth Street heading west.
- Amherst to Carleton streets paving is complete.
- Pavement striping will take place on Tuesday, September 8th. (A3)
- Gate 4 at Hayward Street continues as a major exit for construction trucks and equipment.
- Hayward Street, from Main Street to Amherst Street, remains closed for vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
- Pole removal continues to take place on the northern side of the road.
- The catering ramp to the E40 Muckley loading dock remains closed. All cart deliveries to E40 will enter E51 and take the pedestrian bridge to the 3rd floor of E40.
- Top coat paving is scheduled for Saturday, September 12th.
- The crosswalk at the Amherst intersection is open and the temp walkway from the Medical Lot is being removed. Sidewalk and curb install, paving prep and paving will take place along the medical lot side of southern section of the street.
- Personnel will be in place to direct ambulances, drop offs and patients to MIT Medical.
General Construction Update
- Finish work is underway with trucking in and out of Gates 1 and 4 at Amherst, Hayward, and Main Streets.
Site 1: 165 Main Street
- Steel erection is ongoing from Level 14.
- Concrete operations are underway.
- Steel deliveries will occur 2-3 days per week and concrete deliveries come in from Broad Canal Way
- A City of Cambridge noise variance for installation of a crane to do Eversource vault work on level 2 near the hoist behind the construction fence on Wadsworth Street will take place at 7 am on Saturday, September 5th.
- The week of the 14th crews will install staging for a platform needed on the south side of the building behind E40, the Muckley Building.
- Exterior work continues at the penthouse, roof, the atrium and bridge between the tower and 238 Main Street building.
- Concrete placements continue with trucks entering at Gates 1, 2, or 3.
- The hoist and loading dock are operating on Wadsworth Street.
- Curtainwall deliveries and installation will continue.
- Occasional noisy work is underway inside 238 Main Street with interior demolition and rehab as well as window replacement.
- E37 and E38 finish work is underway.
- All material deliveries to the underground loading dock will continue to come in from Main Street and exit at Amherst Street.
Site 5: 314 Main Street
- Occasional deliveries and removal of materials will take place from Amherst Street to Carleton Street, with most taking place at the underground loading dock.
- Interior fit out is underway.
- Sidewalk installation continues between MIT Medical Lot and Carleton Street. Prepping for paving Carleton Street is underway.
- Hayward Street asphalt paving is complete with paver installation underway.
- Concrete installation will be continue at the Muckley Loading Dock and sidewalks.
City – Ames Street and Memorial Drive Cycle Project
- Miscellaneous pavement striping and demobilization will occur the week of September 7th.