Construction Update September 18 - October 2
Street and Sidewalk Impacts
Wadsworth Street – Phase 2 Roadway Conditions through September 2020
- Access to Wadsworth Street from Main Street is closed to all traffic. (W1) The Sloan and Eastgate lot entrance is closed at Wadsworth Street.
- Walkways will be maintained and located as required around construction work zones.
- Bicycles must be walked on the shared covered walkway.
- Gate 3 near the Muckley Building will be heavily used.
- Crews will be working on first floor windows in front of 238 Main Street. Sidewalk access will be maintained.
- Furniture deliveries for E38 will continue via Gate 1 or Gate 11 near the MBTA headhouse.
- Construction access at Gate 1, located on Hayward Street off Main Street, will continue to be a major entrance into the project for deliveries.
- Gate 2 near Wadsworth Street will continue to be used.
- Utility work is ongoing in the area associated with the renovation and modernization of the headhouse leading to the Kendall Square inbound MBTA station. Access to and from the station will continue to be maintained throughout construction. (M1)
- Mini pile installation with a drill rig is scheduled to begin on Monday, September 21st at the MBTA headhouse northwest corner and will continue towards the south side of the station in coming weeks.
- Eversource Gas is planning to install a new line from east of Wadsworth Street heading west.
- Medical patients only will use the auto ramp to park in the Hayward Garage for the next two weeks while the Medical Lot preps and gets repaved starting on Monday, September 21.
- The Medical Lot will be closed for two weeks beginning on Monday, September 21.
- Gate 4 at Hayward Street continues as a major exit for construction trucks and equipment.
- Hayward Street, from Main Street to Amherst Street, remains closed for vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
- Pole removal continues to take place on the northern side of the road.
- The catering ramp to the E40 Muckley loading dock remains closed. All cart deliveries to E40 will enter E51 and take the pedestrian bridge to the 3rd floor of E40.
- Top coat paving is scheduled for Saturday, September 19th.
- Sidewalk and curb install, paving prep and paving will take place along the medical lot side of southern section of the street.
- Personnel will be in place to direct ambulances, drop offs and patients to MIT Medical.
General Construction Update
- The project has been completed and the certificate of occupancy has been acquired.
Site 1: 165 Main Street
- Steel erection is ongoing from Level 16.
- Concrete operations are underway.
- Steel deliveries will occur 2-3 days per week and concrete deliveries come in from Broad Canal Way
- Crews are installing staging for a platform needed on the south side of the building behind E40, the Muckley Building.
- Exterior work continues at the penthouse, roof, the atrium and bridge between the tower and 238 Main Street building.
- A crane and lifts are installing steel in the atrium between the tower and 238 Main Street.
- Concrete placements continue with trucks entering at Gates 1, 2, or 3.
- The hoist and loading dock are operating on Wadsworth Street.
- Curtainwall deliveries and installation will continue.
- Occasional noisy work is underway inside 238 Main Street with interior demolition and rehab as well as window replacement.
- E37 and E38 finish work is underway.
- All material deliveries to the underground loading dock will continue to come in from Main Street and exit at Amherst Street.
Site 5: 314 Main Street
- Occasional deliveries and removal of materials will take place from Amherst Street to Carleton Street, with most taking place at the underground loading dock.
- Interior fit out is underway.
- Sidewalk installation continues between MIT Medical Lot and Carleton Street. Paving Carleton Street is scheduled for this week.
- Hayward Street asphalt paving is complete with paver installation underway.
- Concrete installation will be continue at the Muckley Loading Dock and sidewalks.