Construction Update October 30 - November 13
Street and Sidewalk Impacts
Wadsworth Street – Phase 2 Roadway Conditions into November
- Access to Wadsworth Street from Main Street is closed to all traffic. (W1) The Sloan and Eastgate lot entrance is closed at Wadsworth Street.
- Walkways will be maintained and located as required around construction work zones.
- Bicycles must be walked on the shared covered walkway.
- Gate 3 near the Muckley Building will be heavily used.
- The Main Street entrance to Hayward Street (Gate 1) will be closed to vehicles for raised crosswalk installation. Pedestrian access will be maintained.
- Staging is installed for façade work around the main entrance of 238 Main Street will be dismantled the week of November 9th. Sidewalk access will be maintained.
- Moving trucks for E38 and E37 will be unloaded on Main Street and directed to Gate 4 to access the underground loading dock.
- Gate 2 near Wadsworth Street will continue to be used.
- Bike rack install will take place in front of the grad tower at Site 4, E37, and E38.
- MBTA riders will eventually need to use the station access facing Main Street. The back head house access and escalator will be closed for construction of the interim head house.
- Utility work, at the sidewalk near Site 4, is ongoing and excavation will begin in the area associated with the renovation and modernization of the headhouse leading to the Kendall Square inbound MBTA station. Access to and from the station will continue to be maintained throughout construction. (M1)
- Eversource Gas is planning to decommission the existing gas main that loops around the south side of the MBTA head house. A cut and cap will occur on two sections of the gas main on Main Street at the east and west side of the head house and cause a pedestrian shift. This work is tentatively scheduled to take place in two weeks.
- The medical lot is open to Medical patients with pedestrian access along Amherst Street and to Carleton Street near the HP spaces.
- Gate 4 at Hayward Street continues to be a major entrance and exit for construction and moving trucks and equipment.
- Equipment and crews will install a hardscape surface around the trees at E40.
- The section of sidewalk is closed at the crosswalk west of E40 while crews redo the walkway to the Muckley loading dock. Pedestrians are being redirected to the crosswalk at Wadsworth Street.
- The catering ramp to the E40 Muckley loading dock remains closed. All cart deliveries to E40 will enter E51 and take the pedestrian bridge to the 3rd floor of E40.
- Trucks and construction equipment will access the MBTA headhouse site.
- A vacuum truck, which will create noise, will be operating at the corner of Charlotte’s Way while crews repair an underground utility pump and an electric line.
- The walkway and entrance at E25 is closed through December for demolition and installation of final landscaping. The temporary walkway along Charlotte’s Way is closed and only be used to leave the building in case of an emergency.
- The new walkways to Dock and Main Streets and the MBTA Red Line station are opened.
- Equipment and crews will install a hardscape surface around the trees on the east along the medical lot sidewalk and west side of Carleton Street scheduled for Wednesday and Thursday, November 4 and 5. All work is weather dependent.
- Personnel will be in place to direct ambulances, drop offs and patients to MIT Medical.
General Construction Update
- The project has been completed and the certificate of occupancy has been acquired.
Site 1: 165 Main Street
- Steel erection is ongoing from Level 24.
- Concrete operations are underway.
- Exterior waterproofing boards being installed.
- Steel deliveries will occur 2-3 days per week and concrete deliveries come in from Broad Canal Way
- Exterior work continues at the, roof, the atrium and bridge between the tower and 238 Main Street building.
- A crane and lifts are installing steel in the atrium between the tower and 238 Main Street.
- Concrete placements continue with trucks entering at Gates 1, 2, or 3.
- The hoist and loading dock are operating on two shifts from 7 am to 10 pm on Wadsworth Street.
- Curtainwall deliveries and installation will continue.
- Occasional noisy work is underway inside 238 Main Street with interior demolition and rehab as well as window replacement.
- Occupants will begin moving into E37 and E38.
- All material deliveries to the underground loading dock will continue to come in from Main Street and exit at Amherst Street.
Site 5: 314 Main Street
- Occasional deliveries and removal of materials will take place from Amherst Street to Carleton Street, with most taking place at the underground loading dock.
- Interior fit out is underway.
- Exterior punchlist work continues.
- Plaza finish work is underway in preparation for a December pedestrian opening.
- Concrete installation will continue at the Muckley Loading Dock and sidewalks.