Construction Update November 13 - November 27
Street and Sidewalk Impacts
Wadsworth Street – Roadway Conditions through November
- Access to Wadsworth Street from Main Street is closed to all traffic. (W1) The Sloan and Eastgate lot entrance is closed at Wadsworth Street.
- Walkways will be maintained and located as required around construction work zones.
- Bicycles must be walked on the shared covered walkway.
- Gate 3 near the Muckley Building will be heavily used.
- The Main Street entrance to Hayward Street (Gate 1) is open to vehicles entering the underground loading dock at the grad tower at Site 4 (E37) and Site 5, 314 Main Street.
- Pedestrian access to E37 is from Main Street to Hayward Street.
- Staging at main entrance of 238 Main Street will be dismantled the week of November 23rd. Sidewalk access will be maintained.
- Moving trucks for E38 will be unloaded on Main Street on Friday, November 13th.
- Moving trucks for E37 residents will be accessing the underground loading dock from Main Street to Hayward Street.
- Gate 2 near Wadsworth Street will continue to be used.
- Bike rack install will take place in front of the grad tower at Site 4, E37, and E38.
- MBTA riders need to use the station access facing Main Street. The back head house access and escalator are closed for construction of the interim headhouse in Phase 1 of the renovation and modernization of the headhouse leading to the Kendall Square inbound MBTA station. (M1)
- Sidewalk paving on Main Street north of Site 4 will occur on Friday, November 13th and will restore the full width at the corner Site 4 and the MBTA head house.
- Eversource Gas is planning to decommission the existing gas main that loops around the south side of the MBTA head house. A cut and cap will occur on two sections of the gas main on Main Street at the east and west side of the head house and cause a pedestrian shift. This work is tentatively scheduled to take place in two weeks.
- Crews will conduct a steam blowing in the next two weeks, tentatively next Thursday, November 19th. The cleaning of steam pipes will produce large clouds of steam and some noise at the site, located behind the E40 Muckley loading dock area off Hayward Street. The visible steam and noise will last for 30-minute intervals and could continue intermittently throughout the day.
- A crane will be operational on Saturday, November 21st at Site 3 to lift a smaller crane onto the lower roof
- Pedestrians are not allowed to walk through the construction area between the Hayward Garage headhouse and the grad tower at Site 4. All should use the walkway to and from Main Street.
- The medical lot is open to Medical patients with pedestrian access along Amherst Street and to Carleton Street near the HP spaces.
- Gate 4 at Hayward Street continues to be a major entrance and exit for construction and moving trucks and equipment.
- The new section of sidewalk, closed at the crosswalk west of E40, will be reopened the week on November 16th.
- The catering ramp to the E40 Muckley loading dock remains closed. All cart deliveries to E40 will enter E51 and take the pedestrian bridge to the 3rd floor of E40.
- Trucks and construction equipment will access the MBTA headhouse site.
- The walkway and entrance at E25 is closed through December for demolition and installation of final landscaping. The temporary walkway along Charlotte’s Way is closed and only be used to leave the building in case of an emergency. Noise is expected, and concrete trucks will be in use in the area.
- The new walkways to Dock and Main Streets and the MBTA Red Line station are opened. Directional signage is in place.
- Personnel will be in place to direct ambulances, drop offs and patients to MIT Medical.
General Construction Update
- The project has been completed and the certificate of occupancy has been acquired.
Site 1: 165 Main Street
- Steel topping off complete. Steel detailing occurring on higher floors.
- Concrete placed up to level 18.
- Curtainwall installation began week of November 9th and will continue throughout the fall.
- MEP work progressing up to level 8.
- Exterior work continues at the, roof, the atrium and bridge between the tower and 238 Main Street building.
- A crane will be lifting another crane on Saturday, November 21st, between the tower and 238 Main Street.
- Concrete placements continue with trucks entering at Gates 1, 2, or 3.
- The hoist and loading dock are operating on two shifts from 7 am to 10 pm on Wadsworth Street.
- Staging will be dismantled on the south side behind E40 Muckley.
- Occasional noisy work is underway inside 238 Main Street with interior demolition and rehab as well as window replacement.
- A steam blow is planned behind E40 loading dock, off Hayward Street.
- Occupants will continue moving into E37 and E38.
- All material deliveries to the underground loading dock will continue to come in from Main Street and exit at Amherst Street.
Site 5: 314 Main Street
- Occasional deliveries and removal of materials will take place from Amherst Street to Carleton Street, with most taking place at the underground loading dock.
- Interior fit out is underway.
- Exterior punchlist work continues.
- Plaza finish work is underway in preparation for a December pedestrian opening.
- Concrete demolition and installation continue at E25/Charlotte’s Way.