Construction Update November 27 - December 11
Street and Sidewalk Impacts
Wadsworth Street – Roadway Conditions through December
- Access to Wadsworth Street from Main Street is closed to all traffic. (W1) The Sloan and Eastgate lot entrance is closed at Wadsworth Street.
- Walkways will be maintained and located as required around construction work zones.
- Bicycles must be walked on the shared covered walkway.
- Gate 3 near the Muckley Building will be heavily used.
- The Main Street entrance to Hayward Street (Gate 1) is open to vehicles entering the underground loading dock at the grad tower at Site 4 (E37) and Site 5, 314 Main Street.
- Pedestrian access to E37 is from Main Street to Hayward Street.
- Staging at main entrance of 238 Main Street will be dismantled on Saturday, November 28th. Sidewalk access will be maintained.
- Moving trucks for E37 residents will be accessing the underground loading dock from Main Street to Hayward Street.
- Gate 2 near Wadsworth Street will continue to be used.
- Bike rack install will take place in front of the grad tower at Site 4, E37, and E38.
- MBTA riders need to use the station access facing Main Street. The back head house access and escalator are closed until fall 2021 for construction of the interim headhouse in Phase 1 of the renovation and modernization of the headhouse leading to the Kendall Square inbound MBTA station. (M1)
- Eversource Gas will be decommissioning the existing gas main from Vassar to Wadsworth streets. Cutting and capping will take place near Wadsworth Street the week on November 30. The first week in December, crews may be working on the sidewalk in front of 238 Main Street. They will also have an open trench to the eastside of the MBTA head house near E38 as cutting and capping will occur in this area causing a pedestrian shift.
- Crews will conduct a steam blowing the week of December 7 The cleaning of steam pipes will produce large clouds of steam and some noise at the site, located behind the E40 Muckley loading dock area off Hayward Street. The visible steam and noise will last for 30-minute intervals and could continue intermittently throughout the day.
- Pedestrians are not allowed to walk through the construction area between the Hayward Garage headhouse and the grad tower at Site 4. All should use the walkway to and from Main Street.
- The medical lot is open to MIT medical patients with pedestrian access along Amherst Street and to Carleton Street near the HP spaces.
- Gate 4 at Hayward Street continues to be a major entrance and exit for construction and moving trucks and equipment.
- The catering ramp to the E40 Muckley loading dock remains closed. All cart deliveries to E40 will enter E51 and take the pedestrian bridge to the 3rd floor of E40.
- Trucks and construction equipment will access the MBTA headhouse site. Soil hauling is scheduled to begin over the next two weeks and is expected to last six-eight weeks.
- The walkway and entrance at E25 is closed through December for demolition and installation of final landscaping. The temporary walkway along Charlotte’s Way is closed, an emergency door from E25 and route are available. Noise is expected, and concrete trucks will be in use in the area.
- The new walkways to Dock and Main Streets and the MBTA Red Line station are opened. Directional signage is in place.
General Construction Update
- The project has been completed and the certificate of occupancy has been acquired.
Site 1: 165 Main Street
- Steel topping off complete. Steel detailing occurring on higher floors.
- Concrete placed up to level 20.
- Curtainwall installation began week of November 9th and will continue throughout the fall.
- MEP work progressing up to to the upper half of the building.
- Exterior work continues at the
,roof, the atrium and bridge between the tower and 238 Main Street building.
- Concrete placements continue with trucks entering at Gates 1, 2, or 3.
- The hoist and loading dock are operating on two shifts from 7 am to 10 pm on Wadsworth Street.
- Boom lifts for metal panel install will be set up through January on the south side behind E40 Muckley.
- Occasional noisy work is underway inside 238 Main Street with interior demolition and rehab as well as window replacement.
- A steam blow is planned behind E40 loading dock, off Hayward Street.
- Occupants will continue moving into E37 and E38.
- All material deliveries to the underground loading dock will continue to come in from Main Street and exit at Amherst Street.
Site 5: 314 Main Street
- Most deliveries take place at the underground loading dock.
- Interior fit out is underway.
- Exterior punchlist work continues.
- Sod placed and other plaza finish work continues in preparation a pedestrian opening later in December.
- Concrete demolition and installation continue at E25/Charlotte’s Way.
- Crane mats will be removed behind E40.