Kendall Square Construction Update December 11 - December 25
Street and Sidewalk Impacts
Wadsworth Street – Roadway Conditions through December
- Access to Wadsworth Street from Main Street is closed to all traffic. (W1) The Sloan and Eastgate lot entrance is closed at Wadsworth Street.
- Walkways will be maintained and located as required around construction work zones.
- Bicycles must be walked on the shared covered walkway.
- Gate 3 near the Muckley Building will be heavily used.
- Test pits may be performed in the E55/Sloan lot the week of December 21st, requiring vacuum trucks.
- The Main Street entrance to Hayward Street (Gate 1) is open to vehicles entering the underground loading dock at the grad tower at Site 4 (E37) and Site 5, 314 Main Street.
- Eversource Gas will be working at the Hayward/Main Street crosswalk and will shift vehicular and pedestrian access around the site as part of a new service install.
- Pedestrian access to E37 continues from Main Street to Hayward Street.
- Gate 2 near Wadsworth Street will continue to be used.
- Bike rack install will take place in front of the grad tower at Site 4, E37, and E38.
- MBTA riders need to use the station access facing Main Street. The back head house access and escalator are closed until fall 2021 for construction of the interim headhouse in Phase 1 of the renovation and modernization of the headhouse leading to the Kendall Square inbound MBTA station. (M1)
- Eversource Gas crews are working on the sidewalk in front of 238 Main Street, shifting pedestrian access across the street.
- Eversource Gas is shifting pedestrians around another open trench to the eastside of the MBTA head house near E38.
- Netting protection will be installed at 238 Main Street resulting in a pedestrian shift.
- Pedestrians are currently not allowed to walk through the construction area between the Hayward Garage headhouse and the grad tower at Site 4. All should use the walkway to and from Main Street.
- Next week a pedestrian walkway will open alongside the new plaza between Amherst and Main Streets.
- The medical lot is open to MIT medical patients with pedestrian access along Amherst Street and to Carleton Street near the HP spaces.
- Gate 4 at Hayward Street continues to be a major entrance and exit for construction and moving trucks and equipment.
- The catering ramp to the E40 Muckley loading dock remains closed. All cart deliveries to E40 will enter E51 and take the pedestrian bridge to the 3rd floor of E40.
- Trucks and construction equipment will access the MBTA headhouse site. Soil hauling continues.
- The walkway and entrance at E25 is closed through December for demolition and installation of final landscaping. The temporary walkway along Charlotte’s Way is closed, an emergency door from E25 and route are available. Noise is expected, and concrete trucks will be in use in the area.
- The new walkways to Dock and Main Streets and the MBTA Red Line station are open. Directional signage is in place.
General Construction Update
- The project has been completed and the certificate of occupancy has been acquired.
- An electrical shutdown will take place on Saturday, December 12th from 6:00 AM to 8:00 PM. The garage will remain open with generator lighting and elevator operations. The generator will begin running at 3:00 AM, creating a hum behind E40 and Site 3.
Site 1: 165 Main Street
- Steel topping off complete. Steel detailing occurring on higher floors.
- Concrete placed up to level 20.
- Curtainwall installation began week of November 9th and will continue throughout the fall.
- MEP work progressing up to the upper half of the building.
- Exterior work continues at the, roof, the atrium and bridge between the tower and 238 Main Street building.
- Concrete placements continue with trucks entering at Gates 1, 2, or 3.
- The hoist and loading dock are operating on two shifts from 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM on Wadsworth Street.
- Boom lifts for metal panel install will be set up through January on the south side behind E40 Muckley.
- Occasional noisy work is underway inside 238 Main Street with interior demolition and rehab as well as window replacement.
- All material deliveries to the underground loading dock will continue to come in from Main Street and exit at Amherst Street.
Site 5: 314 Main Street
- Most deliveries take place at the underground loading dock.
- Interior fit out is underway.
- Exterior punchlist work continues.
- Sod placed and other plaza finish work continues in preparation a pedestrian opening later in December.
- Concrete demolition and installation continue at E25/Charlotte’s Way.
- Crane mats continue to be removed behind E40.