Kendall Square Construction Update March 19 - April 2
Street and Sidewalk Impacts
Pedestrians and cyclists please beware of construction vehicles coming and going.
Wadsworth Street – Roadway Conditions into April
- Access to Wadsworth Street from Main Street is closed to all traffic. (W1) The Sloan and Eastgate lot entrance is closed at Wadsworth Street.
- Walkways will be maintained and located as required around construction work zones.
- Bicycles must be walked on the shared covered walkway.
- Test pits near Gate 3 will be conducted the week of March 22nd with a vacuum truck, which will create noise.
- The Main Street entrance to Hayward Street (Gate 1) is open to vehicles entering the underground loading dock at the grad tower at Site 4 (E37) and Site 5, 314 Main Street.
- Pedestrian access to E37 continues from Main Street to Hayward Street.
- Gate 2 near Wadsworth Street will continue to be used.
- MBTA riders need to use the station access facing Main Street. The back head house access and escalator are closed until Fall 2021 for construction of the interim headhouse in Phase 1 of the renovation and modernization of the headhouse leading to the Kendall Square inbound MBTA station. (M1)
- Crews will be working the week of March 22nd to remove netting from the front of 238 Main Street, shifting pedestrians around the work zone.
- Only construction vehicles are allowed to enter Hayward Street from Amherst Street.
- A pedestrian walkway opened alongside the new plaza between Amherst and Main Streets.
- An MIT crew are working behind E40 on water pipes.
- The medical lot is open to MIT medical patients with pedestrian access along Amherst Street and to Carleton Street near the HP spaces.
- Gate 4 at Hayward Street continues to be a major entrance and exit for construction trucks and equipment.
- The catering ramp to the E40 Muckley loading dock remains closed. All cart deliveries to E40 will enter E51 and take the pedestrian bridge to the 3rd floor of E40.
- Trucks and construction equipment will access the MBTA headhouse site. Soil hauling continues.
- The entrance at E25 is closed into April for installation of final landscaping.
- The new walkways to Dock and Main Streets and the MBTA Red Line station are open. Directional signage is in place.
General Construction Update
- The project has been completed and the certificate of occupancy has been acquired.
Site 1: 165 Main Street
- Glass deliveries continue at the hoist off Broad Canal.
- Installation of curtainwall is ongoing above the 15th floor.
- Unit framing and MEP (mechanical, electrical, and plumbing) activities continues above the 4th floor .
- A crane will be on Wadsworth to assist with interior work with trucks entering at Gate 2 on Main Street.
- Exterior work continues with facade infill work at the hoist area on Wadsworth and at the atrium soffit.
- Concrete placements continue with trucks entering at Gates 1, 2, or 3.
- Occasional noisy work is underway inside 238 Main Street with interior demolition, steel installation and window replacement.
- All material deliveries to the underground loading dock will continue to come in from Main Street and exit at Amherst Street.
Site 5: 314 Main Street
- Most deliveries take place at the underground loading dock.
- Interior fit out is underway.
- Exterior punchlist work continues.
- Tree planting will begin near E25 and Charlottes Way and continue into the Open Space area behind the Grad Tower at Site 4 throughout April.
- Work is underway bordering Site 3 off Hayward Street.