Kendall Square Construction Update June 11 - June 25
Street and Sidewalk Impacts
Pedestrians and cyclists please beware of construction vehicles coming and going.
Wadsworth Street – Roadway Conditions into June
- Pedestrian access has been closed across the Eastgate/Sloan parking lot. Pedestrian access to/from the Sloan building and garage will be from Main Street. The Sloan and Eastgate lot vehicular entrance continues to be from Main Street and closed at Wadsworth Street. (W2)
- Access to Wadsworth Street from Main Street is closed to all traffic. (W1)
- Walkways will be maintained and located as required around construction work zones.
- The pedestrian walkway may be closed between Wadsworth and Amherst Streets.
- Bicycles must be walked on the shared covered walkway.
- A utility project is underway in the parking area north of Eastgate (E55) closing the Hermann Garage. The inner sidewalk is closed to pedestrians from Wadsworth to Main Street. The Main Street access to the Sloan Garage will remain open throughout construction. A Sloan drop off/pick-up space will be maintained. (M2)
- At times crews will be working with alternating one-way lanes at the entrance and inside of the Sloan lot and entrance. A police detail will direct traffic. A vacuum truck could be used.
- The Main Street entrance to Hayward Street (Gate 1) is open to vehicles entering the underground loading dock at the grad tower at Site 4 (E37) and Site 5, 314 Main Street.
- Crews on a lift will be working on 238 Main Street windows, shifting pedestrians around the work zone.
- Pedestrian access to E37 continues from Main Street to Hayward Street.
- Gate 2 near Wadsworth Street will continue to be used.
- An excavator and flatbed will be used adjacent to the Inbound MBTA entrance to remove construction material. Pedestrians will be routed around the work zone. A police detail will be in place to direct pedestrians and traffic.
- MBTA riders need to use the station access facing Main Street. The back head house access and escalator are closed until Fall 2021 for construction of the interim headhouse in Phase 1 of the renovation and modernization of the headhouse leading to the Kendall Square inbound MBTA station. (M1)
- Only construction vehicles are allowed to enter Hayward Street from Amherst Street.
- A pedestrian walkway opened alongside the new plaza between Amherst and Main Streets.
- An MIT crew is working behind E40 on water pipes.
- A chilled water pipe near the entrance to E40 will be repaired. The sidewalk will be closed at Wadsworth; all will need to enter E40 from Hayward Street. A vacuum truck will be used.
- The medical lot is open to MIT medical patients with pedestrian access along Amherst Street and to Carleton Street near the HP spaces.
- Trees and ground plantings are being installed on the Medical lot islands, possibly using a space or two.
- Gate 4 at Hayward Street continues to be a major entrance and exit for construction trucks and equipment.
- The ramp to the E40 Muckley loading dock remains closed. All cart deliveries to E40 will enter E51 and take the pedestrian bridge to the 3rd floor of E40.
- The MBTA Project will be placing concrete Monday, June 14th with a special noise variance from the City of Cambridge starting at 4:00 AM through the evening via Carleton Street. A temporary barricade will be installed along the truck route to direct pedestrians. A police detail will be present at the corner of Amherst and Carleton Street.
- Trucks and construction equipment will access the MBTA headhouse site. Soil hauling and concrete placement continues.
- Crews are completing final landscaping including concrete placement and paving in the former power yard in the northwest corner of the Medical Lot. Another HP parking space will be installed.
- Trucks continue to deliver, stage and plant spring plantings including more than 100 trees and plants will in the open space areas.
- The new walkways to Dock and Main Streets and the MBTA Red Line station are open. Directional signage is in place.
General Construction Update
Site 1: 165 Main Street
- Final curtainwall installation and glass finish work is ongoing.
- Penthouse equipment will continue to be tied-in.
- Drywall will be installed on residential floors 5-7.
- Installation of the podium unitized system is ongoing.
- Topping slab will be installed on level 4.
- Interior layout is ongoing and approaching the highest floors.
- Exterior work continues at the Atrium with a crane on site at Wadsworth on June 12th.
- Concrete placements continue with trucks entering at Gates 1, 2, or 3.
- Occasional noisy work is underway inside 238 Main Street.
- All material deliveries to the underground loading dock will continue to come in and out from Main Street.
Site 5: 314 Main Street
- Most deliveries take place at the underground loading dock.
- Interior fit out is underway.
- Plantings continue near E25 and Charlottes Way and continue into the Open Space area behind the Grad Tower at Site 4.
- Work is underway bordering Site 3 off Hayward Street.