Kendall Square Construction Update June 25 - July 9
Street and Sidewalk Impacts
Pedestrians and cyclists please beware of construction vehicles coming and going.
Wadsworth Street – Roadway Conditions into July
- Wadsworth Street base paving will take place on Monday, June 28th inside the site with equipment entering Gate 3.
- Pedestrian access has been closed across the Eastgate/Sloan parking lot. Pedestrian access to/from the Sloan building and garage will be from Main Street. The Sloan and Eastgate lot vehicular entrance continues to be from Main Street and closed at Wadsworth Street. (W2)
- Access to Wadsworth Street from Main Street is closed to all traffic. (W1)
- Walkways will be maintained and located as required around construction work zones.
- The pedestrian walkway will shift into the bike lane on Main Street at Gate 2 while crews install a new raised crosswalk. Also, pedestrians in the covered walkway will shift around the work at the south end of the pedestrian walkway.
- Pedestrians may be redirected at the crosswalk between Wadsworth and Amherst Streets.
- Bicycles must be walked on the shared covered walkway.
- A utility project is underway in the parking area north of Eastgate (E55) closing the Hermann Garage. The inner sidewalk is closed to pedestrians from Wadsworth to Main Street. The Main Street access to the Sloan Garage will remain open throughout construction. A Sloan drop off/pick-up space will be maintained. (M2)
- At times crews will be working with alternating one-way lanes at the entrance and inside of the Sloan lot and entrance. A police detail will direct traffic. A vacuum truck could be used.
- A section of temporary sidewalk has been installed from Wadsworth Street east.
- The Main Street entrance to Hayward Street (Gate 1) is open to vehicles entering the underground loading dock at the grad tower at Site 4 (E37) and Site 5, 314 Main Street.
- Crews on a lift will be working on 238 Main Street windows and storefront, shifting pedestrians around the work zone.
- Pedestrian access to E37 continues from Main Street to Hayward Street.
- The pedestrian walkway will shift into the bike lane on Main Street at Gate 2 while crews install a new raised crosswalk.
- Gate 2 near Wadsworth Street will continue to be used.
- MBTA riders need to use the station access facing Main Street. The back head house access and escalator are closed until Fall 2021 for construction of the interim headhouse in Phase 1 of the renovation and modernization of the headhouse leading to the Kendall Square inbound MBTA station. (M1)
- Only construction vehicles are allowed to enter Hayward Street from Amherst Street.
- A pedestrian walkway opened alongside the new plaza between Amherst and Main Streets.
- An MIT crew is working behind E40 on water pipes.
- A chilled water pipe near the entrance to E40 is being repaired. The sidewalk is closed at Hayward and all need to enter E40 from Wadsworth Street. Trucks will be used to backfill and place concrete.
- The medical lot is open to MIT medical patients with pedestrian access along Amherst Street and to Carleton Street near the HP spaces.
- Gate 4 at Hayward Street continues to be a major entrance and exit for construction trucks and equipment.
- The ramp to the E40 Muckley loading dock remains closed. All cart deliveries to E40 will enter E51 and take the pedestrian bridge to the 3rd floor of E40.
- Trucks and construction equipment will access the MBTA headhouse site. Concrete placements continues and cranes are on site.
- The new walkways to Dock and Main Streets and the MBTA Red Line station are open. Directional signage is in place.
General Construction Update
Site 1: 165 Main Street
- Final curtainwall installation and glass finish work is ongoing.
- Penthouse equipment will continue to be tied-in.
- Drywall will be installed on residential floors 5-7.
- Installation of the podium unitized system is ongoing.
- Topping slab will be installed on level 4.
- Interior layout is ongoing and approaching the highest floors.
- Exterior work continues at the Atrium.
- Concrete placements continue with trucks entering at Gates 1, 2, or 3.
- Occasional noisy work is underway inside 238 Main Street.
- All material deliveries to the underground loading dock will continue to come in and out from Main Street.
Site 5: 314 Main Street
- Most deliveries take place at the underground loading dock.
- Interior fit out is underway.
- Final landscaping is underway from Hayward to Wadsworth streets surrounding Site 3.