Kendall Square Construction Update October 1 - October 15
Street and Sidewalk Impacts
Pedestrians and cyclists please beware of construction vehicles coming and going.
Wadsworth Street – Roadway Conditions in October
- The pedestrian walkway will be closed through October while crews work on a utility crossing. Pedestrians and cyclists will be directed to the Hayward Street sidewalk. Please follow the detour signage at the north end of Wadsworth Street to the far sidewalk and do not walk along the bike path. A vacuum truck creating noise will be used intermittently for this work.
- Pedestrian access is closed across the Eastgate/Sloan parking lot. Pedestrian access to/from the Sloan building and garage will be from Main Street. The Sloan and Eastgate lot vehicular entrance continues to be from Main Street and closed at Wadsworth Street. (W2)
- Access to Wadsworth Street from Main Street is closed to all traffic and pedestrians. (W1)
- Walkways will be maintained and located as required around construction work zones.
- Pedestrians are being directed to the crosswalk between Wadsworth and Amherst Streets adjacent to E52 and E51.
- Emergency access from E40 is being maintained.
- A utility project is underway in the parking area south of Eastgate (E55) closing the Hermann Garage. The inner sidewalk is closed to pedestrians from Wadsworth to Main Street. The Main Street access to the Sloan Garage will remain open throughout construction. A Sloan drop off/pick-up space will be maintained.
- A new access driveway to Sloan Garage is currently under construction. Concrete sidewalks are placed and asphalt paving is underway. This will allow independent access to E62 (Sloan) and the garage without mixing with construction access for E55 demolition. (M2)
- At times crews will be working with alternating one-way lanes at the entrance and inside of the Sloan lot and entrance. A police detail will direct traffic. A vacuum truck could be used.
- The Main Street entrance to Hayward Street (Gate 1) is open to vehicles entering the underground loading dock at the grad tower at Site 4 (E37) and Site 5, 314 Main Street.
- During the weeks of October 4th and October 11th, work will be taking place on the clocktower at 238 Main Street and the sidewalk below, closing the sidewalk east of the MBTA entrance to the corner of Wadsworth Street. The MBTA entrance will remain open and accessible at all times. (M3)
- Crews on a lift will be working on 238 Main Street windows and storefront, shifting pedestrians around the work zone.
- Pedestrian access to E37 continues from Main Street to Hayward Street.
- Gate 2 has been shifted south on Wadsworth Street and will continue to be used.
- MBTA riders need to use the station access facing Main Street. The back head house access and escalator are closed until Fall 2021 for construction of the interim headhouse in Phase 1 of the renovation and modernization of the headhouse leading to the Kendall Square inbound MBTA station. (M1)
- MBTA project deliveries will intermittently take place at a gate off Main Street near the MBTA station.
- Only construction vehicles are allowed to enter Hayward Street from Amherst Street.
- Pedestrians and cyclists as an alternate to Wadsworth Street will use the walkway alongside the new plaza between Amherst and Main Streets. (H1)
- Trucks are delivering soil, trees and crews are planting trees.
- The medical lot is open to MIT medical patients with pedestrian access along Amherst Street and to Carleton Street near the HP spaces.
- Gate 4 at Hayward Street continues to be a major entrance and exit for construction trucks and equipment.
- Trucks and construction equipment will access the MBTA headhouse site. Concrete placements continues and cranes are on site.
- The new walkways to Dock and Main Streets and the MBTA Red Line station are open. Directional signage is in place.
- Through access to Dock Street via Charlotte’s Way is open.
General Construction Update
Site 1: 165 Main Street
- Sidewalk protection has been removed. Construction of the sidewalk is complete at the 165 Main entrance area. Pedestrian traffic is back on the sidewalks. Bike lane with bikes shifted to traffic lanes for the next month to build landscape areas and new bike lanes.
- Penthouse equipment will continue to be tied-in.
- Drywall will be installed on residential floors.
- Installation of the podium unitized system is ongoing.
- A hoist for E55 demolition will be constructed on the south facade throughout the month of September and October.
- Fit-outs are underway inside the tower and 238 Main Street.
- Most material deliveries continue to the underground loading dock in and out of Main Street at Hayward Street with occasional deliveries through Gates 2 and 3.
- All material deliveries to the underground loading dock will continue to come in and out from Main Street.
Site 5: 314 Main Street
- Most deliveries take place at the underground loading dock.
- Interior fit out is underway.
- Final landscaping is underway from Hayward to Wadsworth streets surrounding Site 3.