Kendall Square Construction Update December 24 - January 7
Street and Sidewalk Impacts
Pedestrians and cyclists please beware of construction vehicles coming and going.
Wadsworth Street – Roadway Conditions into January
- The pedestrian walkway will be closed into January while crews work on final landscape. Pedestrians and cyclists will be directed to the Hayward Street sidewalk. Please follow the detour signage at the north end of Wadsworth Street to the far sidewalk and do not walk along the bike path.
- Pedestrian access is closed across the Eastgate/Sloan parking lot. Pedestrian access to/from the Sloan building and garage will be from Main Street. The Sloan and Eastgate lot vehicular entrance continues to be from Main Street and closed at Wadsworth Street. (W2)
- Access to Wadsworth Street from Main Street is closed to all traffic (W1)
- Walkways will be maintained and located as required around construction work zones.
- Pedestrians are being directed to the crosswalk between Wadsworth and Amherst Streets adjacent to E52 and E51.
- Emergency access from E40 is being maintained.
- Pedestrian access is maintained to the E53/E52 ramp while finish and temporary hardscaping is underway.
- The Site 2 project is underway in the parking area south of Eastgate (E55) closing the Hermann Garage. The inner sidewalk is closed to pedestrians from Wadsworth to Main Street. The Main Street access to the Sloan Garage will remain open throughout construction. A Sloan drop off/pick-up space will be maintained.
- A new access driveway to Sloan Garage is open. This allows independent access to E62 (Sloan) and the garage without mixing with construction access for E55 demolition. Directional signage is posted and police details are on site to help direct traffic. (M2)
- The Main Street entrance to Hayward Street (Gate 1) is open to vehicles entering the underground loading dock at the grad tower at Site 4 (E37) and Site 5, 314 Main Street.
- Pedestrian access to E37 continues from Main Street to Hayward Street.
- Gate 2 has been shifted south on Wadsworth Street and will continue to be used.
- Preparation is underway to switch MBTA passengers to the new interim headhouse in January, so that crews can begin renovation and modernization of the existing headhouse leading to the Kendall Square inbound MBTA station. (M1)
- MBTA project deliveries will intermittently take place at a gate off Main Street near the MBTA station.
- Only construction vehicles and those going to the E40 loading dock are allowed to enter Hayward Street from Amherst Street.
- Pedestrians and cyclists as an alternate to Wadsworth Street will use the walkway alongside the new plaza between Amherst and Main Streets. (H1)
- The medical lot is open to MIT medical patients with pedestrian access along Amherst Street and to Carleton Street near the HP spaces.
- Crews will be doing site punch-list drainage work between Carleton Street and the MIT Media Lab off Amherst St.
- Trucks and construction equipment will access the MBTA headhouse site. Concrete placements continues and cranes are on site.
- The new walkways to Dock and Main Streets and the MBTA Red Line station are open. Directional signage is in place.
- Through access to Dock Street via Charlotte’s Way is open.
General Construction Update
Site 1: 165 Main Street
- Sidewalk protection has been removed. Construction of the sidewalk is complete at the 165 Main entrance area. Pedestrian traffic is back on the sidewalks. Main Street re-paving and bike lane reconstruction are complete.
- Penthouse equipment will continue to be tied-in.
- Drywall is complete on residential floors. Painting is ongoing.
- Installation of the podium unitized system is ongoing.
- A hoist for E55 demolition has been installed on the south facade and may be operational from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm.
- Site work including building a temp construction driveway and installing an Eversource temp power yard is underway.
- Fit-outs are underway inside the tower and 238 Main Street.
- Most material deliveries continue to the underground loading dock in and out of Main Street at Hayward Street with occasional deliveries through Gates 2 and 3.
- All material deliveries to the underground loading dock will continue to come in and out from Main Street.
Site 5: 314 Main Street
- Most deliveries take place at the underground loading dock.
- Interior fit out is underway.
- Final landscaping continues on Wadsworth Street.