Kendall Square Construction Update January 6 - January 20
Street and Sidewalk Impacts
Pedestrians and cyclists please beware of construction vehicles coming and going.
Wadsworth Street – Roadway Conditions into January
- Wadsworth Street pedestrian access has reopened the western sidewalk between Main and Amherst Streets on the 238 Main building and Muckley building side of the street. (W1)
- Pedestrian access is closed across the Eastgate/Sloan parking lot. Pedestrian access to/from the Sloan building and garage will be from Main Street. The Sloan and Eastgate lot vehicular entrance continues to be from Main Street and closed at Wadsworth Street. (W2)
- Pedestrian access is maintained to the E53/E52 ramp while Site 2 work is underway.
- MBTA passengers continue to use the interim headhouse and entrance/exit while crews finish renovation and modernization of the new headhouse leading to the Kendall Square inbound MBTA station. (M1)
- MBTA site fences will be shifting in preparation for opening the new headhouse in early 2023.
- MBTA project deliveries will intermittently take place at a gate off Main Street near the MBTA station.
- Early the week of January 9, crews will be installing an underground dewatering line at Gate 1, near Wadsworth Street. Pedestrians will shift to the bike lane and cyclists will share the road near this work.
- The walkway between the inbound MBTA station and 292 Main Street (E37 and E38, the tower at Site 4) is restored and reopened.
- The inner sidewalk is closed to pedestrians from Wadsworth to Main Street. The Main Street access to the Sloan Garage will remain open throughout construction. A Sloan drop off/pick-up space will be maintained.
- An access driveway to Sloan Garage allows independent access to E62 (Sloan) and the garage without mixing with construction access for E55 demolition. Directional signage is posted and police details are on site to help direct traffic. (M2)
- The Main Street entrance to Hayward Street is open to vehicles entering the underground loading dock at the grad tower at Site 4 (E37), 238 Main Street and 314 Main Street.
- A construction gate (Gate 1) near Wadsworth is the entrance for Site 2 construction trucks and equipment. The gate (Gate 2) near the Sloan Drive is the exit for construction vehicles. Police details direct pedestrian, cycling and vehicular traffic in this area. Police details are on duty.
- Only construction vehicles and those going to the E40 loading dock are allowed to enter Hayward Street from Amherst Street.
- The medical lot is open to MIT medical patients with pedestrian access along Amherst Street and to Carleton Street near the HP spaces.
- Trucks and construction equipment will access the MBTA headhouse site. Concrete placements and demolition continues and cranes are on site.
- The walkways to Dock and Main Streets and the MBTA Red Line station are open. Directional signage is in place.
- Through access to Dock Street via Charlotte’s Way is open.
General Construction Update
Site 1: 165 Main Street
- Move-ins complete.
- Triangle Park construction is complete with punch list work continuing.
- A crane is on site to extract existing underground piles. This activity will create noise and some intermittent vibrations.
- Site preparation for slurry wall foundation operation underway.
Site 3: 238 Main Street
- Fit-outs are underway inside the tower and 238 Main Street.
- Most material deliveries continue to the underground loading dock in and out of Main Street at Hayward Street
Site 4: Grad Tower, 45 Hayward Street, and 292 Main Street
- All material deliveries to the underground loading dock will continue to come in and out from Main Street.
Site 5: 314 Main Street
- Most deliveries take place at the underground loading dock.
- Interior fit out is underway.
- Landscaping punchlist is ongoing.
- Paver installation within and around the MBTA headhouse site will continue into early 2023.