For more information, go to: www.newtonma.gov/zoningredesign
What is Zoning Redesign?
Zoning Redesign is the City of Newton's project to rewrite and redesign its Zoning Ordinance. Newton’s current zoning was last changed in 1987 and needs to be redesigned to reflect current best practices and to better protect the characteristics of this city that make it a great place to live. The goal is to create an easily understood ordinance that preserves what is best about Newton and is, at the same time, forward thinking.
Zoning is the principal means of regulating real estate and land development. Newton's zoning ordinance is a city law outlining the size and shape of buildings that can be built in different parts of the city, how buildings can be remodeled over time, and what types of activities can take place in which buildings.
What's Happening in 2018-2019?
The City of Newton's Zoning Redesign project is actively progressing to a first draft of a new zoning ordinance. There will be lots of opportunities for community members to review and provide input in 2018 and 2019.
Where can I find out more?
Over the last two years this coUrbanize online platform has helped us hear from hundreds of people about the future of Newton's zoning ordinance. Thank you to everyone who contributed to our online map, shared comments, and provided ideas on the future of the zoning ordinance.
The online presence is moving to www.newtonma.gov/zoningredesignRead more...
Information & Plans
- 2017 Newton draft Pattern Book
- 2017, Sept. 27 - Presentation
- 2017, May 11 - Presentation
- 2017, Apr. 21 - Memo to ZAP
- 2017, Apr. 7 - Memo to ZAP
- 2017, Mar. 13 - Presentation
- 2017, Mar. 3 - Memo to ZAP
- 2017, Feb. 16 - Memo to ZAP
- 2017, Feb. 2 - Memo to ZAP
- 2017, Jan. 27 - Memo to ZAP
- 2016, Dec. 23 - Memo to ZAP
- 2016, Dec. 2 - Memo to ZAP
- 2016, Nov. 18 - Memo to ZAP
- 2016, Oct. 20 - Memo to ZAP
- 2016, Sept. 30 - Memo to ZAP
- 2016, Sept. 16 - Memo to ZAP
- 2016, Sept. 2 - Memo to ZAP
- 2016, Aug. 19 - Memo to ZAP
- 2016, Aug. 19 - Public Engagement Plan
- 2016, Aug. 18 - Goals Statement
- Pattern Book case study: City of Grand Rapids
- Pattern Book case study: City of Denver
- Map of Newton's Current Zoning Ordinance
- Newton's Current Zoning Ordinance: Chapter 30
- "Crafting a New Zoning Code" presentation by Zoning Reform Group
- "The World of Zoning" presentation by Zoning Reform Group
- 2011, March 8 "Zoning in Newton" presentation by Zoning Reform Group