Onsite construction activities for the Winston-Salem Choice Neighborhoods Initiative Project, Phase I is anticipated to start in early 2022. The Project expects to generate a variety of construction related work opportunities. Residents are encouraged to visit this website often to stay informed.
The Project is governed under the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Section 3 Final Rule published last year. The Section 3 Final Rule requires that best efforts must be made to provide employment and training opportunities generated by the Project to Section 3 workers. The following residents will be granted priority consideration in the order listed below:
- Displaced residents of Cleveland Avenue Homes
- HAWS residents or residents of Section 8-assisted housing managed by HAWS Participants in YouthBuild programs
- Low- and very low-income persons residing in Winston-Salem or Forsyth County
The workforce participation goals for this Project are:
Section 3 Workers: 25% or more of the total number of labor hours worked by all workers are worked by Section 3 workers.
A Section 3 worker is any worker who currently fits or when hired within the past five years fit at least one of the following categories, as documented:
- The worker’s income for the previous or annualized calendar year is below the income limit established by HUD.
- The worker is employed by a Section 3 business concern.
- The worker is a YouthBuild participant.
Targeted Section 3 Workers: 5% or more of the total number of labor hours worked by all workers are worked by Targeted Section 3 workers.
A Targeted Section 3 worker is a Section 3 worker who is:
- A worker employed by a Section 3 business concern; or
- A worker who currently fits or when hired fit at least one of the following categories, as documented within the past five years:
- A Cleveland Avenue Homes resident A HAWS public housing resident or a resident of Section 8-assisted housing managed by HAWS; or
- A YouthBuild participant
To learn more about Section 3, visit:
If you are interested in working on the Winston Salem Choice Neighborhoods Initiative Project, please tell us about yourself by completing an Employment Interest Form.
A public event will be held in the fall of 2021 to share information about how residents may express interest in working on the Project, identify Section 3 residents, learn about potential work opportunities, and more.
Check out Youthbuild.